Mystery chick...what breed?

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
We bought this little cutie at an auction for $1 since noone else would bid on it. After getting it home, we discovered why someone was selling it, it only has 1 good wing. The other is deformed and tucked under its body. We don't have the heart to cull it and general opinion on here seems to be, let it try and survive...which is what we will do!

Now our other problem is, we can't figure out what breed it is. The box had Silkie chick written on it, but thats all. It has 5 toes on each foot, a flat comb, but no feathers on its yellow feet. Its about a week old now. Maybe the mom was a Silkie? but what else could be mixed in there? Its a tiny little thing.

Pic_01Aug162008.jpg

Pic_04Aug162008.jpg

Pic_02Aug162008.jpg

Pic_03Aug162008.jpg

Pic_05Aug162008.jpg

It sort of resembles a Buff Brahma bantam chick I had, but its a little lighter and that had feathered feet too.

Last edited by a moderator:
with some of my silkies, like Ezzy (who is a cochin/silkie mix) didnt have her foot feathers start to grow for a couple weeks, it certainly looks like a silkie...maybe a mix im not so good with peeper guessing.

I'm not either. I think I have only had about 10 varieties of chicks, so my 'experience' is very limited.

I will look closer and see if I can see the start of any foot/leg feathers. I hope it lives, now I can't wait to see what it grows up to look like
smile.png
Looks like the wing feathers are coming in white and gray/black, should be interesting to see the final color.

Of course with my luck it will turn out to be a little roo!

i once got a midnight call to "come pick up this one winged cochin" before my breeder "put it out of it mysery" she said it looked to her like somthing had tore its little wing off right through the pen, he has a bone poking out where it was ripped off, but the skin grew over it, and eventuaully feathers untill there was no way to tell,I called him uno. and kept him till the day a racoon got into his pen (poor bugger :| )

Did you get this little one last week?? Poor darling! I hope its a little pullet, if its a boy are you going to keep him? I have no clue what it could be mixed with.
hmm.png
Silkie is a possiblility.

Oh, hows your chinchilla doing?
smile.png

The chick may deff have silkie in it it has a silkie face. Be sure to keep us updated as he/she grows cant wait to see how this lil guy or girl turned out to look like!

big_smile.png
Nemo it is! Thanks for the suggestion!!

We hadn't chosen a name yet, but Nemo seems fitting, as s/he is just itching to be 'swimming' with the bigger chicks! Tries to run out of its little cage and scratch around with the 4 week olds. I am just afraid they would smush the baby or peck at it. I will post new pics just as soon as s/he starts to feather out some.

This isn't a chicken, but we bought it at the poultry auction, does that count lol We named her Chincha and we love her, she is so friendly and adorable. Best $19 I ever spent!

Pic_01Aug182008.jpg

Pic_02Aug182008.jpg

Pic_03Aug182008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom