Mystery Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurie9503, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Production Red

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Wellsummer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rhode Island

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Some Other Breed

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. A Mix of Rhodie & Leghorn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/productionredpage.html
    Some times they are inter bred and then called rir or production reds

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    OK, and do all the hatcheries in the US have their own variety of Production Red?

3. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    use search google or what ever you use "production red hatchery" and plenty will pop up.

4. The problem is this. There is no "Breed police". Thus, in the US, the hatcheries crank out all kinds of birds, almost none of which are true bred to the Standard. They can and do call them anything they wish. Just about anything red gets called RIR, New Hamp, production red, etc. They sell all kinds of BLS, commercial blacks, tons of different Red Sex Links, most with some kind of "cute" name. They sell made up, invented versions of Easter Eggers too, passing them off as Americana (sic) and other invented names. It just is what it is.

We've got more Tints and Ambers and Reds than you can shake a stick at.

True bred, bred to the Standard birds here are really only going to be sourced from breeders. The rest is profits, marketing and salesmanship. The hatcheries serve a purpose. Available, healthy, cheap birds. That's what they do well. True bred birds? Not so much.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Tricoglossus, For a good comparison of Production Red and RIR, go back a page and look at the differences between Fred's "real" RIR and my hatchery RIR. You'll see that mine is lighter in color than Fred's, has a less square body, and holds his tail higher. And even with all that, mine was actually a pretty darn good hatchery version of a RIR, one of the better I've seen. Some hatchery "RIR" are just awful. I feel better when hatcheries call their birds Production Red and are at least telling the truth.

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Ok thanks for the info. It's interesting as we do not have hatcheries in Australia and we do not have the diversity of choice. You either find a hobby breeder for a specific breed or you buy an Isa Brown chick or pullet from the pet shop/feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: