Mystery chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Iflyonhorses, May 20, 2011.

1. Iflyonhorses

Iflyonhorses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    I have 4 chicks which originally came from a classroom hatching. One just sprouted ear muffs at 6 weeks. Do you think she(?) is an EE? She has 4 toes and pale yellow legs.
    [​IMG]

This one started out all white with a few small black spots (like a California White Leghorn) then began to develop some reddish feathers and now at 6 weeks is sprouting wattles. He(?) has 4 toes and green, or willow colored legs. The only thing I could find that matched this description was an old Leghorn cross (Central Hatchery) called a red leg. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Maybe they are both ee crosses? If the second one has green legs... Does anything else have green legs?

3. alaskanchicken

alaskanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I bet the first one is a hen, second a roo (in my uneducated guessing)

4. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Ditto on the last two posts

5. Iflyonhorses

Iflyonhorses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    Age 5 weeks. #2 is on the left and you can see the green legs. #3 is on the right. She is almost completely black with mostly black legs. I thought she might be a black star or some type of black sex link cross. Anyway, I'm guessing she's a girl.
    [​IMG]

This is #4 at 5 weeks. I was thinking that if some of these were black sex links, this could be a roo black sex link because all the boys are barred. However, at six weeks both of these chicks look exactly the same only a little bigger. They both look like girls to me but I'm not an expert at this.

[​IMG]

6. Chickenfur

Chickenfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    On Earth :)
    #3 could be a black australorp, #4 could be a barred rock. i've never seen anything like #2 [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by