Mystery Deaths

Worms! The chicken expert at the feed store said its most likely worms! Omg
I'm about to treat with Wazine.
sad.png

Sad sad sad to be tossing out eggs for a week.....I like being organic but I don't want to lose another bird.
hmm.png

Worms are a possibility, but not if it was a full-on hemorrhage of bright red blood. Some bright red blood, sure; a sudden gush of blood sufficient to kill the animal on the spot, no.

Definitely need to get some clear picture of what you're dealing with from your manager. Worming fairly regularly is indeed best practice for most though, of course. Prevention is also a great idea.

I'd advise against trusting the average 'feed store expert' --- I've yet to meet a single one who actually knows in-depth what they're talking about, but man, can they talk! They tend to sound like they know what they're talking about but are often just opinionated novices with no experience with the species beyond selling products to people who own the species.

They often come from rural backgrounds and for some reason feel the need to guide all decisions on what their customers buy and will do their best to make you tend to your animals the way they believe is right, but without fail every time I've gone with their advice, or known anyone who's gone with their advice, it's been mildly to disastrously wrong. Never right. But they are persuasive, partly because they're so utterly convinced of their own expertise in the area.

Your feedstore's resident expert may be the exception to the rule but worth bearing in mind that he's probably just repeating what he's been told and quite likely has little or no actual first hand experience with the animals. Most of them don't have experience in the areas they give advice in, even though they come from rural backgrounds. It's like a checkout clerk at the supermarket giving medical advice to people with specific health problems whenever they buy off-the-shelf medicines. Sure their intentions are generally good and they've generally absorbed some general info about the products and conditions, but they can do a heck of a lot of harm, especially because they're almost as a rule quite 'in charge' when they feel anyone is in doubt about a product. It's sort of their job, fair enough, but they're usually woefully unequipped for it education-wise.

Rant over... Hope your 'feedstore expert' bucks the trend and steers you right, but I'd double-check to be sure, with second opinions from reputable sources.

Best wishes.

Don't use wazine! Go buy a better all around wormer. Safeguard or Valbazen will kill a lot of different worms.

X2, Valbazen or Safeguard. You might also want to buy some Fish-Zole in case it's blackhead and some Corid in case it's coccidiosis.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Great! Thanks!
I found Valbazen. What is the cc dosage, per pound, or the dose for a 5 month old BBB?
I'm using 1/2cc for my chickens also. (Found that dosage on the chicken side of BYC)
And.... Is this a one-time dose with a repeat in 6 months? Thanks again!

Great! Thanks!
I found Valbazen. What is the cc dosage, per pound, or the dose for a 5 month old BBB?
I'm using 1/2cc for my chickens also. (Found that dosage on the chicken side of BYC)
And.... Is this a one-time dose with a repeat in 6 months? Thanks again!
The most effective dose is no less than 20mg/kg once by mouth and repeat in ten days. To figure that out, take the weight of the bird in *pounds*, divide by 2.2, times 20, divide by 113.6. The answer is the amount of ml's needed to worm that bird.

Here is are some examples:

• 1/2 pound bird - .5 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ = 0.04ml
  • 1 pound bird - 1 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = .08ml
  • 5 pound bird - 5 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = 0.4ml
  • 10 pound bird - 10 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = 0.8ml
  • 20 pound bird - 20 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = 1.6ml
  • 30 pound bird - 30 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 113.6 = 2.4ml

-Kathy

Thank you, casportpony/Kathy!
All chickens and turkeys have been wormed and rewormed, (10 days later)!
Your calculations were used after weighing them. I read a thread that said to worm again in 6 months-- is this what you and others recommend? : )

Back
Top Bottom