MYSTERY EGG. I think its a duck egg? Please help!

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
i found this egg in a puddle of water by the duck pool today. the hens are magpies, but i thought they lay green eggs. this is either green or really dirty, but its not the right shape or size to be an egg from out leghorns, and its fatter than the eggs from out pullets, plus out pullets are brown egg layers. is this a duck egg, and if so, is it safe to eat, after sitting in a puddle of water half submerged for a few hours? please let me know!

ETA: the ducks are about 17 weeks
Edited again to add: egg kinda has the 'waxy' feel to it

WITH TODAYS CHICKEN EGGS:
53087_duckegg1.jpg

BY ITSELF
53087_duckegg2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! i put it in a bowl of water and it sank, so i guess its ok. it was only in the muddy water a couple hours cuz it wained a bunch. guess im locking them in so they start laying in the house! lol

Congrats on your first duck egg! If you wanted you can scrub off the dirt--I usually do for the eggs going in the fridge. They are incredibly hard to crack compared to my chicken eggs.

Most of the time, my runners lay before 6 a.m. Sometimes we have a late one that I find just sitting in the day yard. But rarely. I have given them two wooden cheese boxes with straw in them. I put a few wooden eggs in there, too, to make sure they get the idea and don't feel like I have taken all of the eggs . . . oh, the deception.

no more ducky eggs today, but i did get another egg from one of my pullets. so far it has gone

Pullet egg|duck egg|pullet egg
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

so according to that, i should get a duck egg tomorrow! lol
I'm waiting till i have atleast 2 duck eggs so i can eat them togoether

Back
Top Bottom