MYSTERY EGG. I think its a duck egg? Please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jeeper1540, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i found this egg in a puddle of water by the duck pool today. the hens are magpies, but i thought they lay green eggs. this is either green or really dirty, but its not the right shape or size to be an egg from out leghorns, and its fatter than the eggs from out pullets, plus out pullets are brown egg layers. is this a duck egg, and if so, is it safe to eat, after sitting in a puddle of water half submerged for a few hours? please let me know!

ETA: the ducks are about 17 weeks
    Edited again to add: egg kinda has the 'waxy' feel to it

WITH TODAYS CHICKEN EGGS:
    [​IMG]

BY ITSELF
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Yep - Duck. They're waxy and dirty. Smooth like fine china - just look bad.

3. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Crack it open to see if it really was just laid today. It should be good. Congratulations on your egg!

4. Jeeper1540

Thanks! i put it in a bowl of water and it sank, so i guess its ok. it was only in the muddy water a couple hours cuz it wained a bunch. guess im locking them in so they start laying in the house! lol

5. Jeeper1540

i think it must have been laid today or i would have noticed it. i have been checking the pool edges the last couple weeks looking for duck eggs! lol

6. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Congrats on your first duck egg! If you wanted you can scrub off the dirt--I usually do for the eggs going in the fridge. They are incredibly hard to crack compared to my chicken eggs.

7. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    They usually lay real early in the morning. You shouldn't have to keep them locked up all day.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Most of the time, my runners lay before 6 a.m. Sometimes we have a late one that I find just sitting in the day yard. But rarely. I have given them two wooden cheese boxes with straw in them. I put a few wooden eggs in there, too, to make sure they get the idea and don't feel like I have taken all of the eggs . . . oh, the deception.

9. Jeeper1540

in the morning im gunna go see if theres another egg and i'll have them for breakfast if there is!

10. Jeeper1540

no more ducky eggs today, but i did get another egg from one of my pullets. so far it has gone

Pullet egg|duck egg|pullet egg
    Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

so according to that, i should get a duck egg tomorrow! lol
    I'm waiting till i have atleast 2 duck eggs so i can eat them togoether

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by