Mystery geese - how do I care for them?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by The LaMarr's, Dec 25, 2010.

1. The LaMarr's

The LaMarr's Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Midwest Ohio
    About 5 days ago a pair of what I believe are white chinese geese (based on magazine pictures) appeared in the field next to our house. Where they came from is a mystery. I'm starting to get concerned about them because they have spent all of those 5 days mostly just sitting in the same spot - in the middle of the field with no food or water. Now, I don't know much of anything about geese, but they appear to not know what they are doing or where they are. While they are not friendly by any means, they don't act like wild birds either. They show interest when I shake feed in a bucket and will honk like crazy and start to come towards me but then seem to get scared and go back. I have also put out water and tried to get their attention by splashing and pouring it. We tried to herd them closer to the food and water once, but when we got too close they flew away some and became really agitated so we stopped. Now they just sit in their new spot all day and night. I leave feed and water out for them but they don't approach - even when we are inside. There is some snow on the ground though- will they eat that for water? Is there anything else I can do? Am I right in thinking they are probably lost or were dumped and need help? I would really appreciate any wisdom anyone would have to share as I am out of ideas. Thanks!

2. farmnfowl

farmnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    They will be Fine Geese are tough birds if they can fly they will find food and water.
    you put feed out and if theyget hungry they will find it.they can see and smell the food.plus they eat alot of grass ,and will dig down through the snow to get at it.just keep an eye on them they have to be eating something if they have been there 5 days.Merry xmas!!!

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They "flew" away? I haven't seen Chinese geese do that. But, I don't know, maybe there's some that can. Perhaps they're a breed of wild geese. Some wild geese are habituated to people so they won't act totally wild, but aren't exactly tame, either.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could also be dump outs and thats why their confused and scared of humans. just keep showing them that you care and hopefully you'll make strides in helping them. How nice they came upon you and you care. Blessing to you!...[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    please keep us updated. [​IMG]

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    That is so sad.....hopefully no one dumped them out. PPl. I swear get dumber and dumber towards poor animals each day..

7. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I would leave the food and water where they can get to it. Are you able to get close enough to see if either of them is injured?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    Maybe a call to your local animal control folks would help to get them moved to a safe place.

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Very good suggestion!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How are the geese doing? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by