Mystery genes

Sailor opy

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
I've recently been hatching barnyard mix chicks with 5 toes and fuzzy feet( variety of combos). Thing is we don't have any chickens with those gene quailitys. All our females ( sapphire gem, black sex link, silver lace Wyandotte, ISA browns.) And our 2 males are a game bantam mix and a golden lace Wyandotte. We do have some birchen cochins on the property but ive never seen them in there. Weve had silkie mixes in the pen before but its been over a month since they left. And the chicks have only started to come out this way in the past few weeks.
Any thoughts on how this is happening?

I've recently been hatching barnyard mix chicks with 5 toes and fuzzy feet...Weve had silkie mixes in the pen before but its been over a month since they left. And the chicks have only started to come out this way in the past few weeks.

I think it was the silkie-mixes.

Do you know the date when they left?
Do you know when the eggs were laid for the first such chick and the most recent such chick?

If the silkie-mix mates with a hen, and she lays eggs for 7 or more days that are fertilized by him; and then you collect eggs and wait up to a week before putting them in the incubator; and then it takes 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch-- then you're getting chicks from matings that happened more than a month ago.

The roosters and hens in your barnyard now will be producing the chicks you see next month :)

Back
Top Bottom