mystery grayish hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamalaoshi, Oct 27, 2015.

1. mamalaoshi

mamalaoshi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Roy, WA
    Last spring I bought some hatching eggs off craigslist- supposedly they would be silkies, polish, and laced wyandottes. Well, out of all the ones that hatched, they were polish and polish/silkie crosses. I have two mysteries however. One turned out to be a large buff colored hen, very similar to my RIR-ish mutts. But I don't know where to start to figure out my gray girl in these photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures are when she was about 2 1/2 months old. She's now 6 months old and only slightly bigger (smaller than my silkies) and looks exactly the same as the earlier photos. She didn't start laying until a month ago and doesn't lay more than once a week or so, unless she's hiding her eggs and I haven't found them yet. She's got that little beard and barely any comb. Of course she's my 4yo's favorite chicken. He named her Striper because she had very distinct stripes around her eyes when she hatched. You can see her as a baby in the photo below standing toward the end of the feeder.

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You have an Easter Egger pullet.

3. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    If she's that small it's probably a Easter egger bantam. She's a cutie

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd say EE also. Does she lay colored eggs?

5. mamalaoshi

Jul 18, 2013
    Roy, WA
    Thanks everyone. No she doesn't lay colored eggs. They are very pale beige. I wish she did though. All my eggs run the spectrum of brown to white.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that she's an Easter Egger, though if she lays brown eggs she could probably just as accurately be considered an ordinary mixed breed.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    EE

10. mamalaoshi

Jul 18, 2013
    Roy, WA
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like she's just another mutt, or an easter egger who doesn't lay colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by