1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mystery green egg - where did it come from???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valibby, Sep 14, 2011.

1. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    I have four chickens - two Buff Orpingtons who lay, and two others that hatched in June, so not laying yet. Doreen has been broody for a few weeks, but I think possibly still laying. We get at least one egg a day and I think sometimes two (it's not just that I forget to collect). At the end of July, I got busted by the bylaw officer and had to get rid of my two EEs and two RIRs. Back in May and June, Gloria was broody. Since I have no rooster, I got her some hatching eggs. She screwed it up, though, and the nest was abandoned. Creeped out by the idea of possibly seeing partially developed chicks, I avoided tossing the eggs and eventually forgot about it. Gloria's eggs were outside the main coop. Furthermore, they were all brown. To compensate for her eggs not hatching, I got 6 chicks (4 of which were also given up when I got busted by bylaw).

This was all relevant background. Today I collected eggs. There were two - one brown, one green. What the...

I'm making a meatloaf. I cautiously cracked open the green egg and my thumb immediately got thick yellow ooze onto it, like a broken yolk. Except I don't break yolks, and I didn't crack it very hard. I opened this egg into the sink, and the entire thing appeared to be yolk inside. I opened it up completely and a small (maybe 3/4" round) dark blob fell out, but slipped down the garbage disposal quickly before I could really see it.

WHAT WAS IT??? Was that a rotten egg Doreen found in the coop? If so, why didn't I smell anything. Was it a so-rotten-it-changed-color fertilized egg that she somehow moved into the coop? Can chickens even do that?

The brown egg was normal.

2. MANOZ

MANOZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    hmmmm not sure what it is but sounds like you need a trap nest......cheak out my thread for more info.......
    "the trap nesting thread"

3. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Sounds like a partially grown chick to me.

I have seen eggs so rotten they actually explode. The shell does not change color, so it was an egg from a green egg layer that might have been sat on for a while, and then abandoned. It takes a while or very high temperatures for an egg to go green/black on the inside and really smell rotten.

That's my estimation, and I have seen quite a few partially grown chicks that don't make it all the way. The blob that went down the sink, was probably a partially formed chick.

4. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Except we've never had a rooster...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by