Mystery hen! Do you know this breed?

If I find any future green eggs it will definitely confirm since I know the breeds of all the other hens in the flock. Haven't seen a green egg in close to a year though, and we did have a few other unknown hens pass away in that time since the flock is all pushing 8 years old or more. Looking back, one of the ones that passed was definitely an EE.

But it's certainly still possible! She does look a whole lot like pictures of Easter Eggers that I'm finding. You all are pointing me in a good direction, I'd say!
It's great that they've made it to such an old age! Testament to some amazing care ☺️

It's great that they've made it to such an old age! Testament to some amazing care ☺️
Aww, thanks! They are definitely well loved by the whole town, haha. They are the highlight of the history park in the heart of downtown along a creek walk, so they get plenty of visitors. I honestly worry that if anything they are *too* well taken care of--they get lots of treats from people. Buncha fat old biddies, haha. We do what we can though!

Update: a green egg finally appeared! That confirms it, she's an EE. :)
The Ameraucana was nice enough to even lay one of her pale blue eggs for comparison (hard to tell in this lighting, but that is a light blue egg in the middle), what a sweetie.
20210411_165401.jpg

My guesses at the other layers in this batch are theWelsummer, Dominique, and Cochin. The last three lay pretty regularly, but the EE and Ameraucana are rare layers these days since they are older (also wondering if their age is why their eggs seem to have little calcium bumps on them?) so it was quite a shock to see all of these eggs waiting for me in the nesting boxes.

Thanks for the help IDing this bird, all! I feel like I learn something new about chickens every day around here, BYC is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom