Mystery illness. Please help!

Sjohnson56

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2017
I have a year and a half old sebright hen who has never laid. Three days ago she suddenly turn ill on me. Ruffled feathers, extreme fatigue, drooping head, not eating or drinking, diarrhea that is more of a slimy clear/green discharge. She now has what appears to be the beginnings of a prolapsed vent from the diarrhea. Loosing weight extremely fast. Giving her wet mashed food and vitamin supplement water. someone please help me save her if i can.

I was wondering if perhaps she had a extreme case of vent gleet. Can i use any flavor and color gatorade or just certain types?

Last edited:
Not to scare you since her symptoms could be from many other things, seabrights are very prone to getting Mareks disease. That can present with poor immunity, weakness of an extremety, and a failure to thrive, among other symptoms. Since she has never laid eggs she might have some organ failure or a reproductive disorder. I would try to give her electrolytes, feed some chopped egg mixed with a tsp of plain yogurt and chicken feed mixed with water. Keep her warm and separated so she does not get bullied.
If you should lose her, I would contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy.

I thank you so much. I have always thought perhaps that she has had some problems since she hatched. She has always had an extremely shaky neck that stays crooked in a arch. She has never showed any interest in her mate except to hid under him. He is completely fine though. I will definitely try some of the things that have been suggested but i almost think that there may not be to much that i can do and that it's completely possible bad genes are at play here.

Vitamins may be helpful, but she may have wry neck from heredity, a vitamin deficiency in the parents, or Mareks can also cause wry neck. Thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium (found in egg, seeds, nuts, and chopped mushrooms) are usually tried to help wry neck symptoms. I agree that nothing may help her, but it doesn’t hurt to try. My bantams sometimes have laid eggs, but the 2 seabrights I had never did. They are cute birds though.

Back
Top Bottom