Mystery Illness! PLEASE HELP!!

I was going to ask the same thing about the egg shells. They are to young to need calcium yet.

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
You can find Corid at stores like TSC.

What is the purpose of the crushed egg shells?

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

I have been treating for coccidiosis. Last time I had a chick with these symptoms, that's what I did and the bird got better. But it doesn't seem to be helping this time and more birds are getting sick at a rate of 1- 2 a day. Just the ones in the brooder, though.

The eggshells are for strong bones. My dad used to raise chickens and he said they should always have eggshells or oyster shells available free choice. Didn't realize that didn't apply to chicks as well. That couldn't be what's causing this, could it?

I seriously don't know for sure but my guess is that they may not be able to break the shells down in their crop. I would remove them the chick feed and chick grit(had to be chick grit its smaller) are fine.

I have been treating for coccidiosis. Last time I had a chick with these symptoms, that's what I did and the bird got better. But it doesn't seem to be helping this time and more birds are getting sick at a rate of 1- 2 a day. Just the ones in the brooder, though.

The eggshells are for strong bones. My dad used to raise chickens and he said they should always have eggshells or oyster shells available free choice. Didn't realize that didn't apply to chicks as well. That couldn't be what's causing this, could it?
Have you been giving electrolytes and vitamins along with the Corid?

How much egg shells are they consuming daily?

The eggshells probably won't hurt them, but personally I would leave those off until they come into lay. Your chick starter should have sufficient calcium for growing birds. With them having grit there shouldn't be a problem with them grinding up the shells in the gizzard.

Can you get some photos of their poop?

Update: I took the egg shells out and adjusted the amount of corid in their water. I was using the instructions on the bottle, which is a much lower dose. They're also getting electrolytes, vitamins and probiotics in their water.

I'm also force feeding the worst chick some egg mash and she's actually sitting up right now! I honestly thought she was a goner!

Just wanted to mention, pine chips can be the cause of a lot of issues with animals in enclosed areas. Pine shavings have abietic acid, which when left in an enclosed space with animals can cause respiratory and liver failure. Exposure for long periods of time can cause death. It's often a myth spread around that pine and cedar chips are safe for use with birds, but birds are more susceptible then any other animal.

Just wanted to mention, pine chips can be the cause of a lot of issues with animals in enclosed areas. Pine shavings have abietic acid, which when left in an enclosed space with animals can cause respiratory and liver failure. Exposure for long periods of time can cause death. It's often a myth spread around that pine and cedar chips are safe for use with birds, but birds are more susceptible then any other animal.

Really? I had no idea! What would be better for bedding, then?

Update: I took the egg shells out and adjusted the amount of corid in their water. I was using the instructions on the bottle, which is a much lower dose. They're also getting electrolytes, vitamins and probiotics in their water.

I'm also force feeding the worst chick some egg mash and she's actually sitting up right now! I honestly thought she was a goner!
Leave the electrolytes and vitamins out of the water when treating with Corid. Corid should be the only thing they are getting.

I'm glad you adjusted the dose, chicken dosing is different from cattle.

For the sickest one I would be inclined to oral drench her with undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days - this is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water throughout the day. She needs hydration, so syringe the Corid water into her several times a day as well. It won't hurt her.

Well, we lost the worst chick. She passed overnight. The others are showing improvement now that they're getting a higher dose of Corid, so I think I have my answer. Hoping to not lose anymore. Still open to suggestions if anyone has anymore tips that might up their chances.

Well, we lost the worst chick. She passed overnight. The others are showing improvement now that they're getting a higher dose of Corid, so I think I have my answer. Hoping to not lose anymore. Still open to suggestions if anyone has anymore tips that might up their chances.
I'm sorry about the chick.

If the others are struggling, it won't hurt to give each one of them a direct oral dose once a day for 3 days as well. Watch to see if they are drinking the mixed Corid water. When birds don't feel well, a lot of times they don't drink much.

I hope you continue to see improvement, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom