Mystery illness

dct10

Songster
Aug 24, 2020
Hello all. We've been dealing with a perplexing problem for the past two weeks. I'd be greatly appreciative if any chicken gurus might share some theories/guidance. It's a bit long, but necessary to get all the details. Please be patient. Here's the history.
12 week old Ameraucana pullet from McMurray's. All were Vax'd for Merek's and Coccidiosis at the hatchery. Everyone has been healthy and fed non GMO organic starter from day 1. The flock was about to be transferred from the large brooder box in our garage. They have had the run of our garage for past month and go out to the run during the day. There were two Partridge Cochins who didn't develop as fast so we were waiting until they had enough plummage for the cold nights. Anyway, we have an enclosed breezeway between the house and garage. The chickens often come out and play in the breezeway. On the day in question, the affected chick was very healthy and running around with her friend. I went into the house for 5 minutes then returned and noticed she was staggering a bit and a bit bent toward her right side. There was nothing she could have poisoned herself with so we ruled that out immediately. I thought she may have hurt herself by running into a wooden box or a fan. I noticed a small pile of her feathers on the floor as well. I observed her for a few minutes and checked her over. I could not find any sign of injury other than the feathers. She was walking fine and I returned her to her friends in the garage, I checked on her periodically and she was eating/drinking and walking around but still a bit bent. About 2 hours later I noticed she was on her side and barely conscious. I thought she was dead but when I picked her up she was still alive. I took her in the house and we again looked her over and found nothing. As the night went on, she became worse and she did the death flap. She was truly at deaths door. We stayed with her thinking we didn't want her to die alone. My wife actually slept next to her. In the morning, my wife woke up and was surprised to see her looking at her. She drank some water but would not eat. We continued to encourage her to eat and drink but she was not interested. We took turns sleeping with her and she gradually improved and is now pretty much normal, although she still cannot walk. She is exhibiting wry neck symptoms and her neck is turned sharply to the right. She is capable to moving her neck into normal positions and will straighten it for food, but her neck will go back after that. So we are now at 2 weeks. Next part of the mystery: My wife noticed that she had not deficated for about 36 hours so we were monitoring that as well. After about 3 days, we noticed she was clearly bound up and constipated. We then noticed there was a hard white mass at her vent and she was trying to get it out. It looked and felt exactly like and egg so we thought she was eggbound. We did all the emergency procedures, warm epsom salt bath, KY jelly...the whole nine yards. It wouldn't budge. We made a vet appt but still had to wait another day to get in. That night, we coudl see she made progress and the white mass was partially out but there was slight tearing of her vent. I gently squeezed the mass from the sides and noticed it was indeed the size and shape of an egg. But I also noticed the part I could see cracked a bit. It was not an egg, but a calcified stool and she had alot of undigested feed behind it. Once I knew it wasn't an egg, I was able to take it out piece by piece until we were able to get to the softer part. She was able to completely clear her bowel and she is now deficating normally...but still cannot walk. There is no paralysis. Her legs move independently and are strong. Her wings flap normally. She just has no balance at all. We try to assist her walking and she puts one foot in front of the other. But she wants to fall to her left side at all times. We considered she may have a middle ear infection or wry neck. BTW, we took her to the vet and they administered nsaid and told us to keep doing what we're doing. She was as perplexed as we are but she was sure it wasn't Merek's. So now we are at two weeks and she's spry and eating and drinking. She just can't walk and her neck is still crooked to the right. Any guidance or theories greatly appreciated. We have been giving her vitamins daily by dropper, flax seeds for selenium. Help please.

Last edited:
First of all, yes, it does sound like wry neck brought on by being severely constipated. Administer one gel cap of vitamin E 400iu minimum plus a sliver of selenium directly into the beak each day until she reverts to normal for a few days. This is in addition to the vitamins you're giving since they would not contain adequate E and selenium.

It sounds like your chicks, being confined, would benefit from chick grit. Constipation would cause all those symptoms, including the near death spiral. You're very lucky she didn't die, which is what usually happens when a chick is constipated longer than 24 hours let alone two weeks. If you ever so much as even slightly suspect constipation in a chick, immediately give coconut oil until it clears up.

First of all, yes, it does sound like wry neck brought on by being severely constipated. Administer one gel cap of vitamin E 400iu minimum plus a sliver of selenium directly into the beak each day until she reverts to normal for a few days. This is in addition to the vitamins you're giving since they would not contain adequate E and selenium.

It sounds like your chicks, being confined, would benefit from chick grit. Constipation would cause all those symptoms, including the near death spiral. You're very lucky she didn't die, which is what usually happens when a chick is constipated longer than 24 hours let alone two weeks. If you ever so much as even slightly suspect constipation in a chick, immediately give coconut oil until it clears up.

Thanks for the reply. The constipation came at least a week after she lost her ability to walk. Prior to that, she was deficating normally. What was most odd was the calcified plug that caused everything behind it to back up. There was simply no way she could pass is. As stated, I really thought she had an egg stuck because the material was light colored, very hard like egg shell and even shaped like an egg. Fortunately I was able to break it up at her vent and take it out piece by piece. Once that was clear, she was able to deficate normally. She's doing well now and is able to deficate normally now but still cannot walk. Presently, she still has wry neck symptoms and shakes her head from time to time. She's able to move her head normally and eat food on her own. Very complicated case and very perplexing. We were advised to contact Cornell University Avian Veterinary Clinic. That's going to cost alot. Waiting for another week of so to see if she keeps improving before taking that plunge.

perplexing problem for the past two weeks
12 week old Ameraucana pullet
I went into the house for 5 minutes then returned and noticed she was staggering a bit and a bit bent toward her right side. There was nothing she could have poisoned herself with so we ruled that out immediately. I thought she may have hurt herself by running into a wooden box or a fan. I noticed a small pile of her feathers on the floor as well.

she gradually improved and is now pretty much normal, although she still cannot walk. She is exhibiting wry neck symptoms and her neck is turned sharply to the right. She is capable to moving her neck into normal positions and will straighten it for food, but her neck will go back after that. So we are now at 2 weeks.
Next part of the mystery: My wife noticed that she had not deficated for about 36 hours so we were monitoring that as well. After about 3 days, we noticed she was clearly bound up and constipated.
There is no paralysis. Her legs move independently and are strong. Her wings flap normally. She just has no balance at all. We try to assist her walking and she puts one foot in front of the other. But she wants to fall to her left side at all times.
Presently, she still has wry neck symptoms and shakes her head from time to time. She's able to move her head normally and eat food on her own
Can you post some photos of her?
A video of her actions may help too - upload video to Youtube and provide a link.

To me, you found a pile of feathers...I wonder if she was attacked by something. A Hawk would be my guess.
Wry Neck is a symptom. A few common causes is Marek's disease (vaccination does not prevent infection from the virus), head/neck injury trauma and vitamin deficiency.

I would try the vitamin therapy to see if that helps. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex (this contains B1 which is helpful for Wry Neck). Scrambled egg has sufficient selenium for the uptake of E and she will enjoy that as a daily treat.
She's able to straighten her neck to eat and move it into normal positions, but I would assume "at rest" it's going crooked. That sounds more like injury.

12wks is young for an egg, but it is about the right age for symptoms of Marek's to show up, but again, the pile of feathers....I'm thinking Hawk/Ariel predator.

The constipation...could just be coincidental - not getting enough hydration.
I would offer her feed as wet mash and make sure she's drinking really well.

Can you post some photos of her?
A video of her actions may help too - upload video to Youtube and provide a link.

To me, you found a pile of feathers...I wonder if she was attacked by something. A Hawk would be my guess.
Wry Neck is a symptom. A few common causes is Marek's disease (vaccination does not prevent infection from the virus), head/neck injury trauma and vitamin deficiency.

I would try the vitamin therapy to see if that helps. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex (this contains B1 which is helpful for Wry Neck). Scrambled egg has sufficient selenium for the uptake of E and she will enjoy that as a daily treat.
She's able to straighten her neck to eat and move it into normal positions, but I would assume "at rest" it's going crooked. That sounds more like injury.

12wks is young for an egg, but it is about the right age for symptoms of Marek's to show up, but again, the pile of feathers....I'm thinking Hawk/Ariel predator.

The constipation...could just be coincidental - not getting enough hydration.
I would offer her feed as wet mash and make sure she's drinking really well.

She was definitely not attacked...This occurred in an enclosed breezeway. I agree with your injury theory. That seems to be the most logical thing at this point. She was a high-energy chick and it's more than possible she ran into the fan near the pile of feathers. We have an appt with a vet who sees chickens so keeping our fingers crossed. I will try to get a short vid of us trying to help her walk. She immediately falls to her left if we allowed her to be unsupported. Another thing we noticed recently is she wants to have her foot against the wall of her enclosure as if she's steadying herself. She will flap and act panicked until she can get the leg onto the wall. Then she calms down. Wondering if she's experienceing vertigo and the leg against the wall makes her feel more secure...just a theory. I'm a paramedic so I have some knoweldge of injuries/illnesses in humans. Trying to apply some of that to her condition.

Last edited:
She was definitely not attacked...This occurred in an enclosed breezeway. I agree with your injury theory. That seems to be the most logical thing at this point. She was a high-energy chick and it's more than possible she ran into the fan near the pile of feathers. We have an appt with a vet who sees chickens so keeping our fingers crossed. I will try to get a short vid of us trying to help her walk. She immediately falls to her left if we allowed her to be unsupported. Another thing we noticed recently is she wants to have her foot against the wall of her enclosure as if she's steadying herself. She will flap and act panicked until she can get the leg onto the wall. Then she calms down. Wondering if she's experienceing vertigo and the leg against the wall makes her feel more secure...just a theory. I'm a paramedic so I have some knoweldge of injuries/illnesses in humans. Trying to apply some of that to her condition.
Ahh...could have run into the fan.
So hard to know sometimes unless you see it happen.

Stress from a fright or tangle with the fan could have also brought on symptoms of disease like Marek's. Could be injury from whatever happened - lots of different things can happen to chickens. Regardless, it does sound neurological type symptoms - Vitamin Therapy as mentioned previously would be worth a try. They may or may not help.

As I read this it also sounded to me as an internal injury. It’s possible it will take care of itself with the truly wonderful care she is receiving from you and your wife. Keep her hydrated and moving and follow the suggestions above for nutritional support. I can’t offer any new advice as I haven’t gone through anything like this but ai do know they benefit from their own friends and keeping her within eyesight of her friends could help her continue to improve. Best wishes.

As I read this it also sounded to me as an internal injury. It’s possible it will take care of itself with the truly wonderful care she is receiving from you and your wife. Keep her hydrated and moving and follow the suggestions above for nutritional support. I can’t offer any new advice as I haven’t gone through anything like this but ai do know they benefit from their own friends and keeping her within eyesight of her friends could help her continue to improve. Best wishes.
Thanks...we take her into the run every day to spend some time with the flock...

Back
Top Bottom