Mystery Illness

ccchicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
SF Bay Area
One of my girls is sick, am afraid she might be dying...any help would be appreciated

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Rhode Island Red - about 3.5 years old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. None of my girls (5) have been laying lately, but I noticed Ellen in her laying box, totally lethargic, eyes closed and her butt covered in poop. I picked her up and put her on the ground and she slowly fell to one side and closed her eyes again.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.none - but one of her feet looks like it has large blister type swelling on it.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no clue
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Hard to tell
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Mashed together and she smells a little bit like urine
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever it takes!
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use - she's in a large coop - gets to run around the yard a couple days a week. Gets scratch, laying mash and oyster shell along with veggies from the garden.

Please let me know what I need to do!

thank you!

At the most, maybe 2 days. I don't even know if the bumps on her foot are related to the lethargy or not. The blisters are somewhat firm but they don't look infected at all..no pus or anything of that sort.

You say they haven't been laying in awhile, which given the age and season is not unexpected, but do you think that she may be egg bound?

I checked and I don't *think* she is. I have her in a dark box on some towels with a heat source under her to relax her a bit. She's taking a mixture of yogurt, yolk and water but for the most part, she just huddles down and closes her eyes.

Based on photos I've seen on here, I don't think it's bumblefoot, but thank you for the heads up. Am just praying she gets better soon....

Does anyone think it might be her crop? It feels soft and mushy, like a water balloon...is this normal? I've read several posts on it but am really not sure if that is the culprit and I don't want to flush it out unless I know for sure that's the problem...

I lost my girl tonight.
sad.png
Thank you to everyone who gave me some suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom