Mystery injury?

Can you get some probiotics or plain Greek yogurt to give in small amounts? Is she eating mostly chicken feed? Some of her droppings are cecal, and those are from the ceca where food is fermented. It is very smelly and sticky. But there could be infection that is causing the odor.
I can. Idk how I’d get her to take the tho. She is absolutely hell to get to take anything.

She was picking out the whole corn this morning. But she has feed in the same bowl.

Her poop was… green gritty water all last night. I know chickens stink but that smell was something else. I mean it smelled like decay. I thought for sure she was gonna die last night. But she’s still here.. chilling in her swing in the kitchen

Can you get some probiotics or plain Greek yogurt to give in small amounts? Is she eating mostly chicken feed? Some of her droppings are cecal, and those are from the ceca where food is fermented. It is very smelly and sticky. But there could be infection that is causing the odor.
She’s still with us, but I don’t think she’s going to recover. We did end up finding round worm in her poop.. so we dewormed her, but I think it was maybe too late. She’s waif thin and I’m having a hard time convincing her to eat. Been trying to feed her cooked yolk. She ate some yesterday, but she’s not as interested today. I’ve been giving her some kitten high cal paste. Not a ton, but it’s all I can really do for her. She won’t let me syringe anything into her mouth 🤷🏻‍♀️ her poop is still very stinky, but not like it was the other day. That was a smell I’d never smelled before. Absolutely vile. She’s just so thin.. I’m not sure she’s got the drive to make it.

Sorry that she is not doing any better. What did you use for worming? The odor might be some sort of infection inside. You have the choice to try to tube feed her baby bird feed, but with her lameness which could be Mareks, that is your choice.

Sorry that she is not doing any better. What did you use for worming? The odor might be some sort of infection inside. You have the choice to try to tube feed her baby bird feed, but with her lameness which could be Mareks, that is your choice.
I don’t think it’s Mareks. She’s not paralyzed. She just can’t stand. She tries.. but she’s too weak maybe? I’m not sure.

I hadn’t thought about baby bird feeding her.. I wonder if that could bring her back from the brink.

Spent all day today running around trying to find equipment to tube feed her. We did eventually find a vet with some stuff.. then the tube is a little thin. But we couldn’t find any baby bird food anywhere. I read online that you can use cat food. I have kitten food so I blended it up with water and made a paste. Put a couple drops of nutri drench in it. And got maybe 20ml in her. Her crop is definitely squishy now. She doesnt seem like she’s gonna make it tho. She was heavy panting while I was trying to clean her butt off. She’s sleeping now. I’ll keep feeding her but I don’t have high hopes 😭

Sorry that she still seems to be failing.
She’s still here. The tube feeding might be working? Initially her crop still just wasn’t emptying. I got a bit frustrated with it and finally found something that said to massage her crop downwards towards the “V”. That was the piece I was missing. I massaged the liquid food in there and she made a strange gurgling noise (sounded down not up into her throat) and her crop is emptying now. Fairly quickly too. I’m still not sure if she’s gonna make it, but at least we’re finally getting food through her. As much as she hates the process.

Sorry that she still seems to be failing.
She seemed like she was getting stronger. I just fed her. Same as I have been. Careful to avoid her windpipe.. wearing a headlamp to see.. afterwards she flopped around and died. Her throat was clear.. her crop has the food in it. No idea what happened. But she died. So. That’s that, I guess.

She seemed like she was getting stronger. I just fed her. Same as I have been. Careful to avoid her windpipe.. wearing a headlamp to see.. afterwards she flopped around and died. Her throat was clear.. her crop has the food in it. No idea what happened. But she died. So. That’s that, I guess.
Sorry for your loss. She was must have felt very loved by your care.

Back
Top Bottom