Mystery killer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dlynne1123, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Something has been slowly picking away at our flock. In the dusk hours before they are in their coop. We even started penning them in with an electric fence and still lost three. We have seen the fence bowed like a fat raccoon went in there, and we had a hole duge once, like a little creature tried dragging the bird out and it got stuck. I'm pretty sure when the body is left behind it is a raccoon. Any thoughts on the little holes? The bird was in the corner as if it was trying to get it thru the hole and it got stuck. Ermine or weasel? We set traps and got skunks! Anyone know if skunks will do any of this? He's a pretty cute skunk, but now we dont' know what to do with it!

Thanks

Dani in Maine

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I don't have any experience with skunks but there is some info on this site for dealing with them. DH says they are possums in formal wear. I am pretty sure that skunks will kill chickens if they can, but mostly they eat eggs. Good Luck with the release ..... or whatever. Make sure you wear clothes that can be thrown away......[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Any of those critters could be your culprit, including skunks. Here is just one post of many on the subject here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/728942/chickens-being-killed-at-night#post_10060851

Obviously, dealing with a skunk has its own set of challenges. I'll just throw in a formula for removing the smell that works better than tomato juice:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
    1 tsp. detergent

If needed for a dog, for example, "soap up" the dog, let stay on for 5 minutes, then rinse well.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here's an interesting link that might help you. Thay have a section on skunks. You can also look at the stickies at the very top of this "Predators and Pests" forum. There are some helpful links there.

http://icwdm.org/inspection/livestock.asp

One thing I've found helpful is to rake an area smooth so I can get prints. I've heard of spreading flour to help get good prints on hard surfaces.

Skunks are a possibility. You'll notice most sites say "usually" or things like that when talking about what specific predators will do. They don't all read the same book. Some don't act like their species "usually" does.

As far as what to do with it, well that is up to you. You can call animal control if you live where you have an animal control. They may or may not help. There's one way to find out and that is to call.

It is possibly/probably illegal to release it anywhere except on your own property. Different jurisdictions have different laws about that. Your local animal control would know about that.

Personally when I get something in a live trap, I either release it (like when I catch doves) or I drown it. I don't release a trapwise predator. This may be illegal, but there is a phrase used on here about this, SSS. Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up. I don't shoot a trapped animal because drowning it is safer for me and others around plus I don't damage my trap that way.

How you dispose of the skunk is your decision. I can't tell you what to do in your circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    little holes all over....yes skunk....."relocate"....

6. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

Foxes tend to kill more than they can take. Sometimes they kill all your chickens and take only one.

7. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of a live trap, let me suggest you use a 140 conibear. It will kill the skunk almost instantly so it is less likely to have a chance to spray. Not a guarantee, but MUCH easier than carrying around a cage-full of potentially irritated skunk! Good luck either way.

8. upitty

upitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to be an *** or anything but...

"I think you need to call the TURTLEMAN!!!" YEYEYEYEYEYEYEYOH!

Sorry, I live in Australia so I don't know much about your predators.

9. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]??????????????????????????????[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by