Mystery Pest - can you figure it out from the clues?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Going Bhonkers, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    We have a pest roaming about, but we dont know what it is or what its food source is in order to eliminate it.

Here are the facts:
    • We live in Southwest Florida.
    • Every morning we find areas where it digs the night before - we're convinced it comes only night, and past 10pm and before sunrise.
    • It digs under things like structures, bricks, plant containers, not out in the open.
    • The the holes aren't that deep, and it doesnt leave any paw prints or claw marks behind (ADDING TO THE MYSTERY!!)
    • Its probably small because we've put garden fencing (those wire removable ones) around areas in effort to keep it out but it manages to go through the wire.
    • It digs a lot - if in fact it IS small, then there's got to be more than one. Does it travel it packs or it is just a quick digger?
    • We've seen rabbit burrows before & can say for sure that its not a rabbit.

Below is the garden fencing I mentioned
    [​IMG]

Examples of the holes / burrows it makes. Below, it dug under some bricks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dug under a plant container here
    [​IMG]

More examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you could help us figure it out, it would be AWESOME!!! Thank you BYC detectives!!

2. milola

milola Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    My guess would be a toad. Not a predator, huh? I have often seen that sort of evidence. Pick up the stone and see if there is one under it. The only thing that would worry me is if it is a buffo(?) frog I would be afraid of your chicks pecking it and being poisoned.
    [​IMG]

3. JiMyra

JiMyra Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    How about Armadillo?

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Mouse? [​IMG]

5. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Raccoons!! I also live in Florida and know all about them. I have holes like yours in my yard too. They are looking for bugs, beetles or grubs. I have a game camera that takes pictures of raccoons on a nightly bases.
    [​IMG]

6. Going Bhonkers

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I dont think its a toad. Mainly because there are too many holes left behind. I would think I'd hear it - don't toads start croaking at dusk? This pest comes out later. But good guess!

You know, I was thinking maybe an armadillo, but I dont know if they dig? Maybe people with more armadillo experience can chime in.

I doubt its a mouse because we haven't seen mouse droppings or tracks. Another good guess!

Do you think it could be one? The only reason I question it is because I would have seen raccoon prints/ tracks in the sand. Or at least claw marks. Am I wrong? Do your raccoon visitors leave evidence behind? Also, we were thinking it had to be small to get through the garden fence - I suppose it could be BIG to get over it. But the lack of prints is what gets me.

7. bayoudragon

bayoudragon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Armadillos will tear up a yard looking for grubs. You can always lift the rocks/bricks when you find a new hole... you may actually find a toad seeking refuge. :)

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    That sort of garden fencing is more or less decorative, it wouldn't stop anything. Any small creature can run right through it and any slightly larger animal could step over it.

9. Going Bhonkers

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Yeah, that was my mom's desperate effort. Trying to figure it out so we can know what type of trap to lay, what to use as bait, etc. Its hard fighting something if you dont know what it is.

10. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    My vote is for an armadillo too. They are diggers and if it is a younger one, the holes will be smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by