Mystery predator?

ArekE

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Yesterday morning i opened the coop to a horrific sight. Half of my 2 mo babies were dead, heads bit off. After cleaning up we figured out where the thing got in which was a tiny space under the door with a little sign of digging. My first thought was owl but then i after checking there was no way for one to get in. I live in Northern Colorado and i haven't heard of anything doing that. Any idea what it could be? And how could i prevent it from happening again?

Classic signs of a member of the weasel family.
Prevention will require adjusting the space that was used to gain access this time as well as identifying other areas where similar spaces exist. Can you post a photo of the area in question? We can then offer suggestions to make it more resistant to entry by predators

I put cement around the entire perimeter of the coop and i think that should do it. Is a skunk in the weasel family because i know we have lots of those around here?

In our area (West Virginia ) skunks are notorious for somehow breaking in and doing just as you described. Good luck on stopping them.

I've been dealing with broken eggs outside of nesting area but in coop -- egg not always eaten and today after discovering two more saw a blue jay hop out of pen area. Can this be the culprit, anyone? I've only had 3 chickens for less than a month and last cpl wks been having eggs broken.
thnx,
Pat

I've been dealing with broken eggs outside of nesting area but in coop --  egg not always eaten and today after discovering two more  saw a blue jay hop out of pen area.  Can this be the culprit, anyone?   I've only had 3 chickens for less than a month and last cpl wks been having eggs broken.
thnx,
Pat
I dont think the blue jay is the problem, its likely that your hens are eating them or being clumsy and stepping on them.

I also put a lamp in there so if it returns the roosters will be more alert.

well, another one was at edge of coop and other birds scarfing them down -- again, a bluejay close by. And in my new coop - yep, got3 more --two eggs were broken inside out of 3 laid -- and they've been constant early layers ea.morning since I got them a week ago!!!! HELP!

@NapaChicknGal My guess, snake or digger squirrel...otherwise you may have an egg eating hen.

I have lots of Blue Jays but have never experienced one of them taking eggs.
Lofmc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom