Mystery Problem

gardensage

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
My seven month old rooster has been wheezing for the last five weeks and I don't know whats wrong with him. He has been on antibiotics for three weeks with no improvement. None of the other birds have any wheezing and he still eats and drinks like normal. He is still active and is no different from normal other than the wheezing. Does anyone know what's wrong?

If there's no improvement, then possibly the problem wasn't bacterial. Some bacterial infections can't be cured even with antibiotics.
Other respiratory problems can be viral, fungal, environmental, parasitic or nutritional. Those are more likely than something antibiotics can treat.
Best bet is to find an avian vet with poultry experience and have some lab work done.

Last edited:
I agree, I'd have him seen by an avian vet if possible to try to figure out what your dealing with. Three weeks is an awfully long time to be on antibiotic's. Which antibiotic were you giving him and were you dosing him directly or in the water?

He was on oxytetracycline HCI but I've taken him off it for a few days now and haven't noticed a change, for the better or worse.

I recently lost two of my birds to infectious bronchitis. They were both wheezing. It's best to get him to the vet right away. We waited a few days before going to the vet and lost the birds. If it is the infectious bronchitis you'll need to check all your other birds since it is very contagious. Make sure they aren't hunched over, breathing heavy, and don't have any bubbles in their eyes. Hopefully you're little one makes a full recovery and you have better luck then I did!

Back
Top Bottom