Mystery rescued chickens

heatherincolor

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
I rescued these ladies (and a third that I will post later) from a shelter last night. I could only snap a couple pics before leaving for work this morning, but I'm dying to know what kind they are. Sorry the pic is no good- I'll get better ones tonight. These ladies are almost identical except that the one on the right has a black beak and legs. I assume they are some kind of chicken mutts, but if anybody has any theories I would love to hear them! I don't know much about chickens, but I have 4 leghorns (ex battery hens) and these ladies are bigger than they are and more off-white with tan patches on their heads. Thanks!

Absolutely 100% NOT a Delaware and I doubt White Rock as well. No idea what else, would need better photos so we can tell size, but they seem narrow bodied in that pic.
Agreed.

I'm thinking that they could have some Leghorn or game bird in them, but can't tell for sure. Definitely mixed breeds.

Absolutely 100% NOT a Delaware and I doubt White Rock as well. No idea what else, would need better photos so we can tell size, but they seem narrow bodied in that pic.
X2 on that. I can't see their combs real well in the photo, but they don't look like single combs (maybe its just due to the wire and the blurriness) to me. They look like they're either pea combs or rose combs. Is anyone else seeing them that way?

X2 on that. I can't see their combs real well in the photo, but they don't look like single combs (maybe its just due to the wire and the blurriness) to me. They look like they're either pea combs or rose combs. Is anyone else seeing them that way?

I'm having a hard time on the combs. I think that the one farther in the back has a small lopped single comb, but am not sure. The one in the front looks like a large pea comb or a small single comb.

Last edited:

Oh really, why is that? Since they're mixed breeds, and no one seems to know. It looks like they have black flecks in the feathers like a Delaware would, although the body shape doesn't match. The face looks to me like White Rock. Sorry, I don't agree.

Oh really, why is that? Since they're mixed breeds, and no one seems to know. It looks like they have black flecks in the feathers like a Delaware would, although the body shape doesn't match. The face looks to me like White Rock. Sorry, I don't agree.

Because I've bred Delawares for about 7 or 8 years now and I know what a Delaware looks like.
hmm.png

"Flecks in the feathers" is not what a Delaware has. Just because it's a white bird with black streaks/flecks somewhere does not mean it has any Delaware in it. A Delaware rooster has barred hackles and barred tail. A Delaware hen has barred hackles and tail black, which is black tail feathers edged in white. They have medium size single combs and are gravy boat shaped in the chest. Nothing about those birds is Delaware-like except they have white bodies. In fact, they don't even look like large fowl birds, though it could be the photo. They seem to be very small. A Delaware is a good size chicken, remember it was bred as a MEAT bird when you look at that photo again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom