Mystery Rooster and hen

genesis1verse1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 20, 2012
North East Texas
I was given this beautiful rooster by a friend who was told that he was a dominker. When I looked them up, I noticed that he doesn't look like the pics of dominques that I found. Anyone have any idea what he might be?

The hen is supposed to be a Buff Orpington but she looks quite a bit different than our other BO. I think she's something else but have no idea what. She still has almost no comb and she's the same age as the BO. Any ideas?

She is supposed to be Buff Orpington, but doesn't look like our other BO who is the same exact age...

Above is the picture of our buff orpington hatched the same day as the hen in question

Last edited:
Hmm. I wonder if he could be a cross between a Dominque and a RIR. That might explain why my friend was told he was a Dominiker. As for the hen, does everyone seem to agree that it may be a red sex link? She was hatched late Feb. and is looking less and less like our B.O. all the time. She has a little bit more aggressive temperament too. They are best buddies since we raised them all together but I think someone made a mistake at the store where we bought them.

I think the rooster is barred rock cross (black sex link) and the hen is a buff orpington cross, with an easter egger.

What is an easter egger? The guy who gave me this rooster got it from someone who raises their own chickens. He claimed it was a Dominiker. I don't know much, but the pictures I've seen of the 'Dominique' roosters look nothing like my rooster. I can see him being a cross between a Dominiker and something else, or the original breeder didn't know what a Dominiker was. The flock he came from looked like Barred rocks at first and then the roosters morphed into this.

Wow! He looks just like my rooster. I'm sure whatever he is, it must be pretty close to your roos mix. Thanks! Do you think the hen is a red sex link? I got her at Atwoods and they often have multiple breeds mixed together in the same tub. I couldn't tell the difference when they were little chicks.

Wow! He looks just like my rooster. I'm sure whatever he is, it must be pretty close to your roos mix. Thanks! Do you think the hen is a red sex link? I got her at Atwoods and they often have multiple breeds mixed together in the same tub. I couldn't tell the difference when they were little chicks.

She looks like the off spring of a first gen sex link. She doesn't have the typical amber red coloring with white wing and tail tips. One pic of a second gen sex link I saw looked like yours does.

Back
Top Bottom