Mystery runner color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by columbiacritter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    What I paid for was supposed to be 3 sexed hen runners, a blue, a black and a fawn & white. So far the only things I'm sure of is they are runner ducks and ones black.

Since they are 6 wks old and have yet to make a clear quack or a drake rasp their sex is a continuing mystery and now two are definitely color changing.

The blue, who was a gorgeous shad of blue grey is getting definite brown tones even when she/he hasn't been in the mud so I'm thinking chocolate runner.

Here's the trio
    [​IMG]

Here's the probably chocolate. Sorry her colors don't come thru good with my camera.

[​IMG]

And the real mystery whose supposed to be fawn and white but seems to be growing in mostly grey feathers with odd white patches. She was a standard yellow duckling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't get rid of them because their colors are different than I wanted but I won't keep more than one drake.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hmmm. Those are strange colors. The blue may yet be a true blue--sometimes blue does have a rusty tint to it--it's considered a fault, but doesn't mean it's not blue. The other though--definitely not a fawn/white...

I'm thinking that your seller had a mixed-color flock and made some assumptions about color that were not entirely correct. I have a duck that is a sort of off-white color that resulted from a fawn & white hen and, if I remember correctly, a blue drake... though I'm not completely sure on that--it's been a while. I also have some blues with a rusty tint that were from a similar combination. On the other hand, I have seen blues that have a rusty tint that were the result of blue x blue.

But since you have *two* that are not *quite* right--my guess is you received mixed-color ducks. I would definitely contact the breeder. Be nice about it, because it may well have been an honest mistake. But I'm sure she/he will want to know. And they'll probably make it right with you financially too. Of course, if they deceived you deliberately then you have my permission to not be nice. [​IMG]

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:I went thru a 3rd party, mostly to give a new organic farm store some business, but I know where they got them. If the colors aren't true, I will politely let them know. If they are drakes I will politely, but with bared teeth ask for my money back. Mostly I just want healthy runner hens.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Another thought just occurred to me--the third one could be a silver/splash runner, sometimes treated as a dilute blue or just a blue (Holderread classes silver/splash as blue). The ducklings are very light, but I don't think they're necessarily yellow so... maybe not. Still, it looks from the pictures a lot like a silver.

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I was thinking silver too. Also, the one is defiently not a chocolate...its a blue with some brown tinge, nothing wrong for a pet, but a fault for show birds. By 6 weeks you should hear loud quacks, but I would give it just a little more time.

6. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I am no help, but just got my first runners too.

Do you have any pictures of them as babies?

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Silly question. Who doesn't take pictures of their fuzzies?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mystery color duck as 3 wk old

[​IMG]

8. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Here's my splash/silver Runners as babies and at 6 1/2 weeks. The parents were both blues so 1/4 of the babies would be expected to be splash/silver (never sure which to call them). I'm thinking they look pretty similar to yours. Your blue is a lovely shade (mine are darker -- almost black). I too have problems with brown tones and I've always wondered if it's because we have soooo much iron in our water here. I didn't notice the brown tones when I originally got the drake (as an adult) from Holderreads.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Gosh I just noticed how much much my grandson resembles me in this pic (my avatar is me 50+ years ago). Sorry to get off topic, just thinking out loud.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Oooo pretty, I hope mine turns out that nice. I have a ton of iron in my water too, we live at the base of Iron Mt. [​IMG] Our mud is generally orange. I actually had to give up my love of showing Koi., the pretty pond fish, since iron makes them get black freckles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: