Mystery swap meet birds

blutenstaub

Chirping
Aug 17, 2022
Rosarito, MX
Got these birds at a Mexican swap meet on the 4th of July, would like to know age, sex, and breed if any of that is possible.

Here's their general shape, taken today (Aug 17). The one on the right acts more "masculine", doing stuff like raising its hackles and herding the other into the coop if it spots a cat nearby. The one on the left generally allows this, but sometimes gets annoyed and raises its hackles back and chases the other one around a little. Left chicken's hackles are smaller and stand out less when it puffs them out. It also has thinner legs than Right chicken.

IMG_20220817_110031.jpg
IMG_20220817_110017.jpg

August 5:
These pictures suck but you can get an idea of the feather color. These are all the Left chicken from above. The Right chicken has more of the black opalescent feathers than the Left chicken.
IMG_20220805_190352.jpg
IMG_20220805_190348.jpg
IMG_20220805_190346.jpg

July 5:
Brand new chickens!!! Again, not the best pictures but you can get an idea of the feather coloration. The one turning away from the camera is the Left chicken, the one facing the camera with a little mohawk of a comb is the Right chicken. Its chest was basically bald! I think from molting but I'm not sure. (Right now that's feathered out, but underneath its wings is bald.) That's part of why I'm trying to get help estimating age, to figure out if molting is normal right now.

IMG_20220705_093139.jpg
IMG_20220705_093748.jpg

The other data point is, the people I bought them from was also selling a rooster. It looked kind of "generic" to me. Along the lines of the picture below, but I can't remember exactly how he looked. I'm in Rosarito, MX, and there is a pretty lively cockfighting scene here from what I hear, so they may be game birds. I think it's either that, or mutts.
gallo.jpg

So the youngest pictures (the last ones) only look like week olds? I've already had them about 5 weeks. I really need to recalibrate my chicken age guessing scale....
In those pics, they look at least 3 weeks old, maybe closer to 5?
So if you've had them 5 weeks, they would be around 8 to 10 weeks old.
They do look like cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom