Mystery to Solve, Who is The Mum?

ShannonsChimkens

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 4, 2020
Arlington Washington
Hatched this lovely lady from some eggs that my boss gave me. They let their eggs stay in the coop for two months and just gave be the whole bunch of them. She was the only survivor.

I know who dad is (just found out he’s a Silver Sebright, thank you!)

Mom can’t be one of the Silkie Bantams, because their eggs are tiny. This one came from a medium whitish/tan egg. These are only photos I have of the possible culprits.

Chick at a few weeks old
AA0F28D4-9543-41E5-9E40-17AED17F3FEA.jpeg

E1962ED0-A386-4889-94DA-107A9C5468B3.jpeg

Floyd
92DFE304-C155-4CF7-9881-91A5735B0CBD.jpeg

Mothers in question. What breeds?
64682D66-02C9-451A-BB47-22798E570AD7.jpeg

A2A8213E-9BE0-4E7B-93EE-F3EFEC68FCF1.jpeg

I would speculate, and guess that mama is in the 4th pix. Looks like an EE mix. The last pix is a Production Red, or Red Sexlink chicken that lay brown eggs generally.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I would speculate, and guess that mama is in the 4th pix. Looks like an EE mix. The last pix is a Production Red, or Red Sexlink chicken that lay brown eggs generally.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thank you! I was leaning more towards the one in the 4th picture because of the markings. Picked up 14 eggs from them again today, mix of tiny eggs and off white/brownish medium eggs. Curious what they’re all going to look like.

Very helpful to know what the parents could be.

Picked up 14 eggs from them again today, mix of tiny eggs and off white/brownish medium eggs. Curious what they’re all going to look like.
Hopefully these are fresher eggs than previous batch. That translates to more fertility/more live chicks :thumbsup
Eggs much older than 3 weeks, and the chances really drop down down down:(:(:(

Hopefully these are fresher eggs than previous batch. That translates to more fertility/more live chicks :thumbsup
Eggs much older than 3 weeks, and the chances really drop down down down:(:(:(

Should have much more of them hatch this time. They’re within 4 days laid. Started with 50ish shipped eggs and 12 eggs from the boss last time. Now have 40 chicks in the brooder, and only that lone survivor from his eggs.

What’s very surprising, almost all of the eggs he gave me were alive until lockdown. They just couldn’t make it to hatch and had very large air cells. He thought his eggs weren’t fertile! Lol very fertile they were.

I'm thinking the mama probably is the one in the 4'th picture, but she looks to me more like a Spangled Russian Orloff than an Easter Egger :)

I’ll have to look that up and see if that’s her. I’m positive the tiny eggs in the incubator now are a mix of the Silkie bantams and Floyd the Sebright. But the other brownish eggs are from one or both of these hens again.

Edited: Just looked up the Spangled Russian Orloff, that’s her :)

Back
Top Bottom