Mystery Turkeys

you can tell gender when you see a mowhawk. that means girl. toms can gobble very young. I have a BBW I am keeping as a pet
Until the toms go bald, they also have a mohawk as part of the process of losing their head feathers. Wait until 3 months old to start trying to sex them.

If you happen through Billings, I am right off the interstate and have slates, sweetgrass, palms, blacks, a few red bronze and narragansetts, and some mixes of all those.
I will keep you in mind for next spring when the fever hits again. I was able to get some Narragansett hatching eggs shipped to me from Treasure state. But I'm hearing/reading great things about Sweetgrass. I also love diverse flocks. This will give me time to setup my breeding enclosures too. Hubby is gonna hate me but I build my own and he doesn't have to turkey hunt now! He'd miss the shot anyway! Lol

The worst part may be the knowing that they have to be processed at a young age since BB turkeys can be great heart stealers.
That’s the truest statement I’ve heard today. They do tend to be sweet birds. Speaking of, remember mine from 2018? My BBs? I still have one Tom and two hens. The others had issues in year two. But these three get around just fine yet and no outward signs of distress. Of course that was the smallest Tom by a long shot. But still, he goes over 50#s. The heaviest one that I put down first was 68+ pounds despite my best effort to keep him lean and fit. He didn’t stand a chance. I tried everything. Now I’ve added some of Kevin porters heritage - recessive slate, recessive lilac (I have those two varieties on contract) and silver dapple. They are heart stealers just the same. I agree. It’s much better to go heritage no matter what you’re doing with them. It’s very sad to watch a BB grow to what humans have engineered them to be. Heritage is much less… sad. For lack of better words. I don’t care if they’re strictly for processing and you have no attachment- any human with a soul would find it at least somewhat bothersome the way BBS break down so quickly and so very fast. I mean, I get it- it’s all about making money fast- but at what cost?

Back
Top Bottom