Mystery waterfowl

s914934

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Cheyenne, WY
I need some assistance, please. My sister found this little guy in the pool at a hotel she was working at after they watched him journey across the busy main street all by himself (or herself). Without momma around, and after waiting all day with him in a tub of water, she brought him home to be adopted by her sister, me. :) Yes, I'm a softy.
My question is this. This little guy doesn't look like what my ducklings looked like. His bill is skinny and pointy. Anyone know what he is?

Please call the state fish and game or DNR department. That's a wild and most likely migratory bird and needs to be handled by someone set up to feed and release it. It is illegal (no matter how good your intentions are) to take from the wild and keep wild waterfowl.

I suppose it could be a grebe. Do contact a conservation department wildlife person so they can help the baby out.
It is not a Grebe they have totaly different feet, we brought a grebe to wildlife rehab and I am 100% that it is not a Grebe they have spoon like toes. Here is a pic of the Grebe we took to wildlife rehab

We have a male hooded merganser on our lake that has adopted us.
He's been here 3 years and hangs with my pekins.
We've had other male and female merganser come through, stay a day or two, then move on and Dos (that's what we call him) has just stayed.
My husband thinks he can't fly.
All I know is he's eating good on the lake and occasionally will have an Uno (lady friend) who will eventually leave and Dos just stays.

Last edited:
Did you find someone to help then since you now know what the bird is?

Yes, a friend sat for hours looking through pictures of ducklings online and spotted him. I called the game and fish department to make sure it was okay to continue caring for him and they threw a fit that he was ever brought to me in the first place. They threatened with fines and all sorts of stuff like that when we took him to them. All we could do was listen and then leave as the game warden didn't want to hear the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom