Mystery worms? Could be gapeworms?

Just an update. The birds made it through the night and seem to be doing fine. I sure messed up on the math...my math is horrible!!!! I started them back on the scrambled eggs and buttermilk Dawg recommended and they are eating like pigs!

I found 3-4 VERY small spots of that brown runny poo on the poop boards this morning, when I scraped them off. One of the morning daily chores I do. So their poop is getting much better. No sign of gaping at all either. I usually sit with them, after chores, and watch them. I do this so I can hopefully catch anything unusual quickly. So far, I have only seen signs of parasites, no diseases. If I do find any signs of disease, I will have to cull them all. I don't believe in keeping sick birds and taking the chance of spreading disease to other flocks!!!!! IDK, maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I do not want to be part of the problem, but part of the solution. JMHO I am still on the fence with that one little one, that first started gaping. If it were my Daddy, he would've already culled her and I still might have to, as she seems to be the one bringing in the parasites but I'm not sure yet....going to give her a bit of time, and if she doesn't turn around, I will cull her and see if that stops the parasite issues I seem to have. Will also send her for a necropsy. I already called the state lab and it's $35.00 per bird here. The containers to send a bird are only a $1.50, and same for the "sticker" I need to put on it. So it won't break my pocketbook too bad! I already have enough of those frozen containers in my freezer, to keep her body cold enough. Then the cost of shipping. Can't check that until I have the total weight. I have a cardboard box ready incase I need to send her also. Going to order the container/sticker label this week, so I have it on hand.

Someone said cracked corn helps put weight on...anyone know if that is true and if I should add that to their diet? If so, how much and when to start it ? I am going to town, hope I make it back, to pick up layer feed, as they are 16 weeks, and I need to switch them over. Anyone know if I should do this now or wait a bit? I was thinking to mix it in with the last bag of grower they are on, to help keep their tummies settled.

You dont need cracked corn. Just mix scrambled egg and buttermilk in with the layer feed to make a mash for them to eat. Do this for about 5 days, then let them eat just the layer feed.

Just an update. The birds made it through the night and seem to be doing fine. I sure messed up on the math...my math is horrible!!!! I started them back on the scrambled eggs and buttermilk Dawg recommended and they are eating like pigs!

I found 3-4 VERY small spots of that brown runny poo on the poop boards this morning, when I scraped them off. One of the morning daily chores I do. So their poop is getting much better. No sign of gaping at all either. I usually sit with them, after chores, and watch them. I do this so I can hopefully catch anything unusual quickly. So far, I have only seen signs of parasites, no diseases. If I do find any signs of disease, I will have to cull them all. I don't believe in keeping sick birds and taking the chance of spreading disease to other flocks!!!!! IDK, maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I do not want to be part of the problem, but part of the solution. JMHO I am still on the fence with that one little one, that first started gaping. If it were my Daddy, he would've already culled her and I still might have to, as she seems to be the one bringing in the parasites but I'm not sure yet....going to give her a bit of time, and if she doesn't turn around, I will cull her and see if that stops the parasite issues I seem to have. Will also send her for a necropsy. I already called the state lab and it's $35.00 per bird here. The containers to send a bird are only a $1.50, and same for the "sticker" I need to put on it. So it won't break my pocketbook too bad! I already have enough of those frozen containers in my freezer, to keep her body cold enough. Then the cost of shipping. Can't check that until I have the total weight. I have a cardboard box ready incase I need to send her also. Going to order the container/sticker label this week, so I have it on hand.

Someone said cracked corn helps put weight on...anyone know if that is true and if I should add that to their diet? If so, how much and when to start it ? I am going to town, hope I make it back, to pick up layer feed, as they are 16 weeks, and I need to switch them over. Anyone know if I should do this now or wait a bit? I was thinking to mix it in with the last bag of grower they are on, to help keep their tummies settled.

Back
Top Bottom