1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Myth or Truth?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Whitehouse Quail, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Browsing the web, I discovered a myth about poultry processing; if you kill the bird, then chop off it's head with an axe, and hang it upside down with shackles/rope, it will bleed out. Is this true or not?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't understand. Why would you kill the bird and then cut off its head with an axe. If an axe is used, it is generally used to kill the bird. If you hang it up it will bleed but there are other and better ways to get it to bleed out. Like hang it up and cut the jugular.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can either chop the head off with an axe and hang it upside down to bleed it out, OR hang the bird upside down first, and then slit the jugular. Either way works well and the bird will bleed out.

4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    A heart beat is not necessary for chickens', arterial and venous blood to drain by gravity.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:This may be true only if the arteries and/or veins whent in one direction only. They make twists and turns. Therefore only a small amount will leak out due to gravity. The heart needs to be beating in order for the blood to be moved throughout the system in order to bleed out. Otherwise the blood will stop circuating and start to clot therefore a volume will remain in the blood vessels.

6. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Blood does clot until it's exposed to air and/or some chemicals. (think about those packages of meat you buy in the store)
    But as the blood exits the wound it will start to clot.
    It is thought by some that the heart will push the blood past this clotting area faster.
    Hanging anything that is alive up side down for more then a few minutes will cause the blood start to pool near the head in all cases.

Since the blood does not clot in veins and arteries it will move to the lowest point. So during the processing if the bird is upside down through scalding, plucking and most of the butcher. The blood will move to the head and neck area it may not all drain, since the exit may be clotted, but a quick rinse and scrub will start the flow again.

Tom

7. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I would THINK that the sudden loss of blood pressure from severing the carotid artery would result in the quick death of the heart muscle and thus no pumping. Also, I notice that blood POURS from the neck wound, it does not PUMP. To me, this indicates gravity is pulling out the blood rather than the heart pumping it out.

I wonder if there is any studies of how quickly the heart stops beating when the carotid artery is severed. I bet it's seconds.

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I don't chop the head off with an ax. I do remove the head entirely with a large sharp knife. Hang the bird upside down for a few seconds, remove the head in one swipe and it will bleed out.

9. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    This thread is making me sick LOL

I have butchered my own chickens before but just reading this in depth account of what the blood, veins, and clotting do.....puke [​IMG]

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I can tell you from first hand experience while working at a University Veterinary Teaching hospital for 5 years... yes the blood will clot in the blood vessels, the heart must beat in order to move the blood out of the blood vessels.
    ... yes, the heart will continue to beat even when cut out completely out of the body. When there is only a steady stream of blood when one cuts the throat, one only has severed the vein but not the artery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by