Myths and Facts about Ameraucanas

thanks so much for the info Jody. I am pretty sure that my roo is a golden duckwing from the pics on Anne's site. However i didnt see that colour recognized as a standard for ameraucanas. The females seem to fit the standard pretty well. I will talk with the breeder and see if i can figure out where their stock came from.

In reply to Cynthia's post, #1, that site is no longer a viable site, said the site has closed. Is there a new link to this site? Still wanting to do a lot more studying on the Easter Egger breed, which I am sure I now have, smiling. Have a wonderful day.

What I was looking for was:

Information on what I keep reading about: "horn coloured beaks". I came up with this old topic in the search. Where can I find more information about horn coloured beaks. Have a great day.

I'm about ready to throttle my pal I go to the Farmers Market with, for telling customers that blue / green eggs are 28% lower in cholesterol.
I correct it when I hear her, but she truly believes it.
If I had some facts, I could shut that up.

Poultry Breeding & Genetics (Crawford) has info about cholesterol in blue eggs.

pg 789. Popular literature Hickman,1974, indicated that cholesterol in blue eggs, due to O (the blue egg gene) is lower than brown or white eggs. It goes on to say that scientific studies have not substantiated this.

Somes et al., 1977. studied three strains of aracana & found the cholesterol to beconsistently higher by 2%-6.9%.

Cunningham, 1977. found cholesterol in the yolks of araucana eggs to average 4% higher than white shelled eggs & brown eggs intermediate.

Sadjadi et al. 1983. found no difference in yolk cholesterol levels in blue & white shelled eggs.

Simmons & Somes, 1985. Found araucana eggs to have total cholesterol 27% higher & yolk cholesterol 7% (which is a lot) higher than eggs from white leghorns.​

LOL....I didn't noice it was that old.
lol.png

Quote:
Poultry Breeding & Genetics (Crawford) has info about cholesterol in blue eggs.

pg 789. Popular literature Hickman,1974, indicated that cholesterol in blue eggs, due to O (the blue egg gene) is lower than brown or white eggs. It goes on to say that scientific studies have not substantiated this.

Somes et al., 1977. studied three strains of aracana & found the cholesterol to beconsistently higher by 2%-6.9%.

Cunningham, 1977. found cholesterol in the yolks of araucana eggs to average 4% higher than white shelled eggs & brown eggs intermediate.

Sadjadi et al. 1983. found no difference in yolk cholesterol levels in blue & white shelled eggs.

Simmons & Somes, 1985. Found araucana eggs to have total cholesterol 27% higher & yolk cholesterol 7% (which is a lot) higher than eggs from white leghorns.

But compared to what? We also know that cholesterol level in eggs varies dramatically based on the hen's diet, and probably by breed as well.

But compared to what? We also know that cholesterol level in eggs varies dramatically based on the hen's diet, and probably by breed as well.

When I wrote the info it was in response to someone saying they wished they had info. I, stupidly, had not noticed that the nthread was two years old or I should not have bothered.

Sorry I did not write: In the Somes study of 1977 it was in comparison with white or bown shelled eggs. Which pretty much covers 'other eggs'.
lol.png

The info was from Poultry Breeding & Genetics (PBG) (Crawford). I have not read the studies. One can presume, it having been a scientific study, that all of the birds being tested in any one test, will have been fed the same rations as the other birds in that particular test or the test would be worthless.
wink.png

PBG does say in an earlier section the predictable point that cholesterol levels vary from strain to strain. The info related was specifically pertaining to comparisons of cholesterol levels in birds carrying the blue egg gene O & birds carrying the not blue egg gene o+.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom