Néw Member

UPDATE a neighbor put together a coop like shelter for the Rooster. I also got him a companion hen. I built her a cardboard nesting box. While she has taken to it, the rooster goes in an removes all the hay. He now is “blocking” her in the nesting box with no straw. I assume she is trying to lay an egg but not sure why HE is going into the box and removing everything lout. She wants to built her a straw nest but he is controlling that. Anyone know what is going on? Why is he destroying what she builds? And why is he standing right next to the nesting box entrance? Is he just too controlling?

UPDATE a neighbor put together a coop like shelter for the Rooster. I also got him a companion hen. I built her a cardboard nesting box. While she has taken to it, the rooster goes in an removes all the hay. He now is “blocking” her in the nesting box with no straw. I assume she is trying to lay an egg but not sure why HE is going into the box and removing everything lout. She wants to built her a straw nest but he is controlling that. Anyone know what is going on? Why is he destroying what she builds? And why is he standing right next to the nesting box entrance? Is he just too controlling?
Some roosters want to be right next to the nest when the hen lays an egg, that's pretty common. And scratching all the nest material out is something they all seem to do :barnie Can you get him a couple more ladies? Maybe it would give him something else to do while she's trying to lay. :)

Some roosters want to be right next to the nest when the hen lays an egg, that's pretty common. And scratching all the nest material out is something they all seem to do :barnie Can you get him a couple more ladies? Maybe it would give him something else to do while she's trying to lay. :)
He does not do that any more. I noticed that every time I put out fresh straw, he likes to sleep in the coop just that one night to make sure everything is fine. He is doing his job, I guess, and making certain it is safe for the hen. I don't have time to get another hen, as I am traveling more now and longer periods. Unfortunately I will have to probably give them away. But the Rooster really ended up being a lot of fun. He jumps in my lap now, lets me pick him up, we cuddle. He is the BEST! If he hears me on the phone in the house, he jumps on top of the gate nearest the closest window to me and Crows loudly. Which sends me outside to call him back into the yard. He has not run away yet and stays very close to his hen.

Back
Top Bottom