N. California newbie

FloppyEaredFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Shingle Springs
Hello all. I just recently realized that I LOVE CHICKENS! And this seems like a great place for us chickens lovers :)
Our chicken experience so far: My husband and I bought a house with an acre a year ago, and decided to keep some chickens. We got 3 of them in April and I FELL IN LOVE! They were a RIR, Americauna (my favorite for her spunk), and a Cuckoo Maran. They were laying great (daily), got to free range every day for a few hours, would come running to me and follow me around the yard. SOOOO incredibly cute! But recently, we had a break in to the coop during the night and lost all three. Evidence of one death and the other two went missing. I was pretty heart broken. I posted signs, put up a Craigslist ad, but they never returned :( End of sad story...
So last week, we got some new little chicks from a home breeder nearby. Six chicks. Five straight run breed mysteries and one Cream Legbar pullet. Love them! They are now 12 days old (we got them at 7 days). We have plans to build Fort Knox coop for when they switch to outside living, so we don't lose these ones. I am so excited for these new little ones to grow and see what they turn out like. I'd also love to learn how others on here feel about roosters. We are considering keeping one rooster out of these. I've only had one experience with a rooster and it was BAD. Anyway, I can't wait to meet fellow chicken lovers! :)

Greetings from Kansas, FloppyEaredFarm, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sorry to hear about your first poultry experience ending badly - better luck to you and your second. Hope to see you around the forums! Best of luck and Happy New Year!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Best wishes for the new flock! Building a Fort Knox is always adviseable.
wink.png
When your "mystery chicks" feather out, be sure to post some pics in the What Breed of Gender Is This? forum, to get some advice on breeds!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif
To answer your question about roosters: some of my favourite chickens (and I had 100's) have always been my roosters. If you rear him yourself so he gets to know you and respect you he will be a great pet. Roosters are also handy to have in the flock, they will look out for and protect the hens. I heard of roosters killing predators and I've seen my boys chase off predators that were threatening the flock. And of course they will make sure you have fertile eggs if you want to hatch some!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom