NAGOYA COCHIN

23january1969

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
Has anyone heard of this breed. Google had nothing other than for Yakitori (Chicken on a stick). My wife picked 3 up from a local breeder and I can't find anything out other than they're used for food. Has anyone ever seen or heard of them in the states? The other issue is with picking a straight run and they're all hens. Looks like I'll be hunting for a roo soon.

'Nagoya Cochin' is a famous Japanese native breed chicken, official name of which is 'Nagoya'. 'Nagoya Cochin' is the domestic commercial chicken that was first developed in Japan. In 1868, the Kaihu brothers, samurais of Owari feudal clan (at present, western part of Aichi prefecture), improved their native breed chicken of Nagoya by mating it to the Chinese buff cochin. Then it was named 'Nagoya' in 1920.
Though 'Nagoya cochin' was originally a dual purpose breed (i.e. good in both egg laying and meat production), today there are four types of 'Nagoya Cochin';type 1 and 4 for egg, type 2 and 3 for meat.
Their characteristics are brown plumage and leaden legs. Mature cock weights as much as five kolograms.

http://www.k-net.or.jp/~kohtin/

Thank you for the responses. My wife got them from a local breeder store here on Okinawa. She had extras and asked us if we wanted them. Soooo, we have Nagoya Cochin. The bad part is that I went looking for Welsummer and Marans. I hit 65 different breeders here in Japan and have yet to find one that offers the two. The Nagoya Cochin is hard to find over here so it was pure luck. These are controled by the city of Nagoya which leaves very little information other than how they came about. Looks like live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom