Nail Trimming

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgirl11, Oct 14, 2010.

1. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    My 3 week olds need their nails trimmed. How can I do that best and what do I need to do it with? How often should the nails be trimmed?[​IMG]

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I don't know if this is good with 3 week olds, and if I'm wrong, I hope more experienced chicken owners will correct me, but I just read that you should put a cinder block in the coop or run so that the chickens can file their beeks and toe nails, so maybe you can put something smaller in your brooder...like a small patio block or something.

3. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    Thank you. That'll do for now until someone tells me how to trim them with nail clippers. I also have a bird perch covered in sand paper.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I never trim my chickens' nails- they scratch in the dirt and sticks.

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I do trim my Silkies nails....but only when they need it, and that's never been before the age of 6 months. They keep them fairly worn down just from everyday usage.

When I do have to trim them, prior to a show, or if I notice they're exceedingly long--I use dog toenail clippers....the scissor type. I've also used my husbands Dremel power tool (but don't tell him) [​IMG]

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've only clipped nails on a 4 month old but be very careful and make sure you have quik-stop first because if cut too short they can bleed to death!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by