Nail trims? Beaks?

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
While chicken watching today I notice one of my hens toenails are pretty long. Am I supposed to be trimming nails? Also I have wondered about beaks...how many people trim or file beaks to keep them from getting too long?

yes...it's good to keep their nails nice and short...not too short of course. normally i don't have to clip beaks but I do have two show quality bantam polish hens that I have to clip once or twice a year. Just the top beak though, Ive never had to clip the bottom beak.

Bumping this up to ask for clarification. My chickens have access to free range all day everyday. I have noticed some of their nails getting long though. Should I be trimming them or should their scratching be enough? Also, some of my girls have long sharp beaks and others don't. I figured it was just due to different breeds. Should I be trimming those long pointy ones? Not causing any harm, just thought I'd ask since I'm asking about the nails:)
Thanks!

I cut my chickens nails because most of my feather footed breeds don´t scratch a lot, and their toenails get overgrown.

I also trim beaks for shows, and if they are very overgrown.

Careful cutting toenails and beaks, because if you over cut than they can bleed. Always keep cornstarch next to you to stop bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom