NAIS concerns

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
I'm not for sure if we are allowed to discuss this on the forum, if not, feel free to lock it up.
But if so,
I read an article this week-end that greatly disturbed me...I've heard of this 'program'...but did not know the details. They were very upsetting to me once I discovered what has been going on under my nose! I hear things everyday on the news about spying that bother me, and I want a safer country, but I was literally bowled over when I read the details on the wording of this 'program'.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Has there been any progress in stopping this? Or is your state beginning the registration?
What measures has your states begun in this process?
I read about the program in "The Family Voice".

Right now it is at each states discression. Some states are inforcing it.
We are in Illinois and they informed us this past fall that in order for kids to show animals at the fair they had to have a NAIS premise ID.

They had a information seminar scheduled for tonight, where some people from the state office were going to be ther eto answer questions about NAIS and discuss concerns. ..Well, I was notified a few days ago that it was cancelled and no further meetings will be arranged due to the flooding of complaints about the whole NAIS thing, so now they are going through the process again and gonna decide if they are going to inforce it or not.

So, hopefully it will get changed. I think it is completely wrong for them to force that on anyone and then using our kids to get the results they want.

Christie

There are so many misconceptions about NAIS including the one about riding your horse around the block. Take the time to research the program NOT what other people say about the program. Very little of it even applies to backyard farmers.

What I had a problem with was the wording. "Premise not Property"...I took a real estate class in college....words in real estate have very specific meanings....and premise is a conveyence. And in order to get your premise ID you have to fill out forms and sign where it says "premise".... this wording was NOT a mistake.

* Can you explain the difference, parsonswife?? (I already know that the full passage would effectively hinder any smallholder or backyarder from buying or selling their own liuestock (esp. for food).

Last edited:
Hi parsonswife. NAIS is not a taboo subject here. Very few things are.

Canada is heading the same way. Up here they are calling it the "national animal health strategy" Both the Canadian and US versions have some very disturbing wording in them.

Back
Top Bottom