Naive chicken Mom

Lisaevegordon

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hi everyone,
My name is Lisa and I recently acquired a chicken. It showed up at my house one day and has never left. I decided since he or she had decided to become a permanent resident that I needed to provide food, water and shelter. I went to Rural King and purchased a chicken house and run as well as grain and water/ food feeders. You would think that my chicken would be somewhat appreciative but nothing could be further from the truth. Every time my chicken sees me or anyone for that matter he or she goes into attack mode. My chicken has drawn blood on me more than once and nothing I do seems to make him or her happy. I’m at my wits end.
I was also under the assumption that my chicken would lay eggs and in spite of my providing a nesting box and nice nesting beds I still have yet to see a single egg. I’m now beginning to question my idea that she was a girl. To be honest I don’t even know what kind of chicken I have and could really really use some advice from anyone who has a clue what I might be dealing with. Is she a broody hen? An angry rooster? What kind of chicken is he or she and is there any way I can get him or her to stop attacking everyone that steps foot on my property? Any information you could provide would be appreciated more than you know.

Thank you!
Lisa
B0C96219-1C53-466D-AF2E-9C3F2F716620.jpeg
B776D6C3-8633-4910-89C2-CC5B3777120A.jpeg
0CEE2C04-9D4F-4263-95C1-A8C211456C08.jpeg
EA32D5D4-F909-4A12-94E1-2893F4FD17B1.jpeg
30CFC7E4-516C-4177-BB86-77C802D4C921.jpeg
703A94D3-6D6F-4BC4-81EB-902B26664709.jpeg
E69483B8-EF54-488A-B406-73C6BA17296A.jpeg

Hello Lisa, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Yes, he's a cockerel. Looks like a hatchery Rhode Island Red.
I would try to find a new home for him with some ladies. He may end up in the pot if he keeps up with the attacks. Or he may settle down once he has some ladies to take care of.

I can’t thank you enough! This explains a lot! The funny thing is that I’ve kinda liked having a chicken though I was really hoping for some eggs. The aggressiveness I could really do without however. It’s just me and my little dog and the chicken and her don’t exactly see eye to eye so I’m going to take your advice and try to find a home for him.
I’m thinking that there’s no reason to let the coop and all the amenities go to waste though and am wondering if perhaps I should try to find some baby chicks and raise them up to hopefully be happy, healthy egg layers. Is there any specific breeds that you could recommend to me as a first timer?
Once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Your knowledge and willingness to help is greatly appreciated!
😘

Welcome! Don't let this situation turn you off of chickens. There is still a few weeks for you to get some chicks or pullet. Definitely keep the rooster away from the babies if you decide to get a few. Re-post this in chicken behaviors which is located on the Forums tab above. Good luck! I hope you can get some girls!
Thank you!! That’s exactly what I’m going to do! This forum and its members are wonderful and I feel fortunate to have been welcomed and helped so much! You guys are great!

I would try to find a new home for him with some ladies. He may end up in the pot if he keeps up with the attacks. Or he may settle down once he has some ladies to take care of.
Thank you Dobie lover. I’m just trying to figure out how to get him to make an exit. He
Thank you so much dobielover! I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of the meanie. He doesn’t seem inclined to want to leave on his own. Any ideas? I don’t know anyone else who has a chicken and everyone that knows me is already afraid of him and would laugh if I suggested they take him off my hands. You don’t happen to need a Rhode Island Red roster by any chance? Lol. 😉

Back
Top Bottom