Naively I thought chickens could be out alone all day, confused

To add to my above post, if your unwilling or can't afford a possible loss here and there than keep them confined. I hate to do it cause they prefer to run free, act like caged lions if used to ranging. I anymore typically cull down to very small breeding #s come fall. To save on feed. I can't afford even a single loss cause of this so they are locked up in a large run and coop.

A run isn't cruel or unreasonable. I free range and still have a run for emergencies like if the fence is down or there is something weird in the yard.
My hubs didn't want to build it either, he likes to eat so he did.
I figure a day in the run beats getting mauled by something or at least i'd hope it does. :D
I can't get a photo since I am not at home, but it's just a barn that was used for a small horse. With a top shelf used for hay. It has 2 windows and that's it. We are going to add roosts and stuff this weekend. We don't have a run since I thought they would be outside most of the time. I guess we can build one, but I have a feeling my husband won't go for that.

Lots of great comments and suggestions. Besides just enjoying the read, I've got a bunch of new ideas too! Thanks everyone!

@Jenjens I can't really add anything new others haven't already said, but...

I have a similar situation, and from the sounds, budget too. To be honest though, sometimes the best part of my day is hanging out with the feathered ones. My little Serama, A'pollo, can put a smile on my face no matter how crap my day has been.
12683.jpeg

Watching the ducklings swim is like being a kid again.
20190612_191122.jpg

I've got a momma with 10 chicks, and she's a damn good mom. Watching the social interactions with her and the babies blows my mind at times. (she wasn't so sure about the camera, and guarded her babies from it)
20190618_124043.jpg

Have you put a chicken on your shoulder yet? If not, you need to!
20190616_064743.jpg 20190616_064507.jpg 20190610_043112.jpg 20190613_195340.jpg 20190618_075318.jpg

For me, these are all great reasons to work through the troubles. Don't get discouraged. You've already done better by your birds than some people ever will, just by simply caring.

Anywho, chin up! You've got some birds to love! :hugs

That was beautiful. :hit

Lots of great comments and suggestions. Besides just enjoying the read, I've got a bunch of new ideas too! Thanks everyone!

@Jenjens I can't really add anything new others haven't already said, but...

I have a similar situation, and from the sounds, budget too. To be honest though, sometimes the best part of my day is hanging out with the feathered ones. My little Serama, A'pollo, can put a smile on my face no matter how crap my day has been.
View attachment 1818144

Watching the ducklings swim is like being a kid again.
View attachment 1818155

I've got a momma with 10 chicks, and she's a damn good mom. Watching the social interactions with her and the babies blows my mind at times. (she wasn't so sure about the camera, and guarded her babies from it)
View attachment 1818147

Have you put a chicken on your shoulder yet? If not, you need to!
View attachment 1818149 View attachment 1818150 View attachment 1818152 View attachment 1818153View attachment 1818142

For me, these are all great reasons to work through the troubles. Don't get discouraged. You've already done better by your birds than some people ever will, just by simply caring.

Anywho, chin up! You've got some birds to love! :hugs

@Parront I use the crinkle bag too with my dogs, their pouch that their treats come in. Use to do it for the cat too.. crinkle the bag and they all come running, shaking the coffee can works well for the chickens.
It works on Dylan, too. Corn chips, forbidden by vets and doctors world-wide, are like crack to Dylan! Just the sound of the bag is enough to get her attention. She will come when I say, "Come here", but the crinkle sound really gets better results!

@Parront , I'm guessing it's the salt content in the chips that the Vet objects too. Chickens will eat anything that doesn't move faster than they do. Just noticed your location, hubby and I go there frequently for his VA appointments.
Oh yeah, salt content is the main problem, and the calories we all do not need! Those goodies are only about once a week. (Usually shared by the guy of our house, who is not supposed to eat them either)!

@Parront ,fed just a few as treats, I do not believe is going to kill them, I've read where you can give them cat food for extra protein.. mine get left over's as treats in place of the small amount of scratch they get. I would not make it a meal, but a couple as a treat isn't going to hurt. Being able to get them in as a protection measure for me outweighs the sodium content.

Back
Top Bottom