Naked Butt Flock

judyki2004

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Puerto Rico
My Coop
My Coop
I been trying to find out whats wrong with my flock (9). I have 2 creole hens ( I guess they are product of mixing different breeds for may years) they are the helthier and older of the flock (6 or 7 y/o) , 1 older barred rock ( about 5 y/o), 1 rooster ( sultan/silky mix about 3 to 4 y/o).
The youngers are : 2 barred rock, 1 unidentify whitish girl and a pair (2)of guinea hens all rised since chicks during the lockout (1 y/o)

A couple of months ago some of layers look kind of sick and I treat them with antibiotic and deparasited them. The thing is that my 3 barred rock have their butts naked for months. They look awful! Other than that they look healthy and active, with good apetite.

What I been doing wrong?

I have a tiny backyard "farm" meaining I have a garden with eddibles ornamentals and herbs, chickens and ducks ( in separate spaces)
Their coop is 4'x 5', their run is 12' W x 7'5" D x 6'6" H. Covered, so they can either sleep inside the coop or in the run. Im planing to extend the run a few feet to the back, so it will be 12' x12'.

They have acces to clean water ( I add Organic Apple Cider Vinegar every other week) 24/7 and food (30% or Layer mixed or alternated).
I add variety to their diet ramdomly feeding them vegetable and fruit scraps , pigueon feed (mixed seeds), and occasional scrambled eggs (with sesame seeds oregano, ground eggshells, garlic, cilantro).

I let them free range the backyard for a couple of hours almost every day, 14 to 24 hours per week.

They have a sand bath "spa" inside their run and another one in the backyard; in both I add eiher ashes or an insecticide powder in order to keep them "pest" free.

I know there is some bulling problem, but it shouldn't be so bad.

Any Advice?

Wow! You sound like you're giving excellent care! I'm sure that's why you're able to get them to such a nice age :) It sounds to me like you have a picking problem. I've had a similar situation before, sometimes a chicken or two will just decide that they are going to pick, despite changing environment and protein. Any idea which hen(s) are doing this? I never personally found a great solution to this issue, but perhaps try to separate out the defeathered ones and allow their feathers to regrow! Maybe once the other hens stop seeing the irritated skin and missing feathers they won't be reminded to pick. I have also heard pinless peepers can help stop picking. They aren't exactly nice for the hen wearing them, but if it improves the lives of the other hens, it may be worth the possible negative effects in your situation! I would also check them individually for lice or mites to be sure that's not the issue. Best of luck!

Chickens don't always grow feathers back immediately. Sometimes they don't grow back until their normal molting time. It sounds like you use a very high protein feed. Approximately how much of their diet is the commercial feed and how much is other?

Chickens don't always grow feathers back immediately. Sometimes they don't grow back until their normal molting time. It sounds like you use a very high protein feed. Approximately how much of their diet is the commercial feed and how much is other?
I guess they 2/3 of their daily diet is the commercial feed, they have it always available. and at morning I give them some corn or pigueon seed mix just to keep them entertained, then again at the evening when usually let them free range for a while may ad any vegies and fruits.

Wow! You sound like you're giving excellent care! I'm sure that's why you're able to get them to such a nice age :) It sounds to me like you have a picking problem. I've had a similar situation before, sometimes a chicken or two will just decide that they are going to pick, despite changing environment and protein. Any idea which hen(s) are doing this? I never personally found a great solution to this issue, but perhaps try to separate out the defeathered ones and allow their feathers to regrow! Maybe once the other hens stop seeing the irritated skin and missing feathers they won't be reminded to pick. I have also heard pinless peepers can help stop picking. They aren't exactly nice for the hen wearing them, but if it improves the lives of the other hens, it may be worth the possible negative effects in your situation! I would also check them individually for lice or mites to be sure that's not the issue. Best of luck!
Thanks so much for the feedback! I will follow your advice! Today just catch one of my older hens ( Maleficent its her nickname, mind you) picking on one of them. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom