Naked hen

Ingavid

Chirping
May 30, 2020
My RIR started molting and now temps are below freezing. I made her a nice fleece saddle but the others are attacking her until I took it off. Would it help if the saddle was the same color as her? Any other ideas? The photo doesn't show how few feathers she actually has.

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_113352.jpg
    IMG_20211206_113352.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 6
I would try making one the same color as her feathers. If they keep pecking though I would separate her until she doesn’t need it anymore.

My RIR started molting and now temps are below freezing. I made her a nice fleece saddle but the others are attacking her until I took it off. Would it help if the saddle was the same color as her? Any other ideas? The photo doesn't show how few feathers she actually has.
Feather damage looks to be from picking, so I'm not surprised the other hens were still picking at her with the saddle on.
There is some pin feathers coming in though.
Observe your flock - do they have enough space, do they pick and eat feathers from one another, do they need more protein, etc.

Feather damage looks to be from picking, so I'm not surprised the other hens were still picking at her with the saddle on.
There is some pin feathers coming in though.
Observe your flock - do they have enough space, do they pick and eat feathers from one another, do they need more protein, etc.
Flock of 4 have a 10x10 run and are free ranging most of the day. With the saddle on it was just the other RIR that was attacking- not pecking but full on attacking and jumping on her. Changed the saddle color to same color as her feathers but it made no difference. The poor girl is traumatized now. I have never seen any one of them picking at each other. Giving them more protein now.

Loss pattern on top of the back is either from picking or being mounted.
Even if there's no rooster, it's not uncommon for another more dominant hen to mount another hen as a show of domination.
Picking can often being done during roosting.

Back
Top Bottom