Naked neck chicken not eating much need advice please HELP.

Mamashenhouse

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2023
Hello community

I am a 1st time hen grower. I have three different breeds one of my babies is a naked neck chick. She is about 12 weeks. She’s always been on the smaller side but always ate well this recently.

Last night she ate mealworms for the 1st time and I changed the water feed them.

Today she was not looking well I noticed some poops she had have been watering. Like very very watery. Like there is nothing coming out. She had been eating well the days before.

Today her energy is very low she did get up for a bit to eat very little. Her poop was still watery and clear. Her wings have been dropping and she’s been lying on her side and closing her eyes. She didn’t have much interest in water today.

One thing to note is that I did run out of chick grit and was out for like a week till yesterday I got more delivered. Not sure if that would make a chick her age sick but any advice is helpful

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 0
What's her main diet? Mana pro gamebird starter grower. With meal warms as a snack. I’m not sure if I should be feeding them different foods now. I do have the grit and has a different one with calcium before. But that ran out so I’m using the mana pro grit
I just switched it up to

The change in her behavior and watery poop could be a sign of various issues. While I'm not a veterinarian, I can offer some general advice that may help. However, it's crucial to consult with a poultry veterinarian for a more accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.

1. Hydration:
Ensure she stays hydrated. If she's not interested in water, you might try offering it in different ways, such as through a dropper or syringe. Dehydration can worsen health conditions.

2. Nutrition:
Chickens need a balanced diet. While mealworms can be a treat, make sure she's getting a complete feed suitable for her age. The introduction of new foods, especially in large quantities, can sometimes upset their digestive systems.

3. Grit:
Lack of grit can indeed affect digestion. Grit helps chickens grind down their food in their gizzard. Now that you have chick grit, make sure it's available for her.

4. Isolation:
Consider isolating her from the others temporarily. This can prevent the potential spread of any contagious disease and also give her a quiet space to recover.

5. Veterinary Consultation:
Given her lethargy, change in poop consistency, and other symptoms, it's crucial to consult with a poultry veterinarian. They can provide a more accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment.

6. Observation:
Keep a close eye on her behavior, eating habits, and droppings. Any changes, positive or negative, should be noted and reported to the vet.

Remember, chickens can hide signs of illness well, and by the time symptoms are noticeable, they may be quite sick. Seeking professional advice promptly is essential for the best chance of recovery.

The change in her behavior and watery poop could be a sign of various issues. While I'm not a veterinarian, I can offer some general advice that may help. However, it's crucial to consult with a poultry veterinarian for a more accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.

1. Hydration:
Ensure she stays hydrated. If she's not interested in water, you might try offering it in different ways, such as through a dropper or syringe. Dehydration can worsen health conditions.

2. Nutrition:
Chickens need a balanced diet. While mealworms can be a treat, make sure she's getting a complete feed suitable for her age. The introduction of new foods, especially in large quantities, can sometimes upset their digestive systems.

3. Grit:
Lack of grit can indeed affect digestion. Grit helps chickens grind down their food in their gizzard. Now that you have chick grit, make sure it's available for her.

4. Isolation:
Consider isolating her from the others temporarily. This can prevent the potential spread of any contagious disease and also give her a quiet space to recover.

5. Veterinary Consultation:
Given her lethargy, change in poop consistency, and other symptoms, it's crucial to consult with a poultry veterinarian. They can provide a more accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate treatment.

6. Observation:
Keep a close eye on her behavior, eating habits, and droppings. Any changes, positive or negative, should be noted and reported to the vet.

Remember, chickens can hide signs of illness well, and by the time symptoms are noticeable, they may be quite sick. Seeking professional advice promptly is essential for the best chance of recovery.
Thank you so much for all this info well organized I can definitely appreciate it. I had her isolated for the rest of the day and examined her droppings they are looking better! I will keep an eye on her she also began to eat more and drink water. I got a vitamin mix I’ll mix in the water today.

I don’t know how to contact a poultry vet. I’m not sure if I can google it but I’ll try. I’m also looking for a new home for my babies. Hopefully a farm near by can adopt them. I love them and want them to have more space and free range 💕

Back
Top Bottom