Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I will consider breeding him down the line when I breed for a nice pattern or color. Currently right now I am breeding naked necks for meat consumption. While I am aiming for a particular color (white) Rapid development is my top concern and next is breast size. The picture in my avatar happens to be his brother from the same hatch. He reached the target weight 2 weeks sooner. All the sisters were kept to breed back to the full naked neck father. Thats when I will start making serious culling decisions. I eventually want to start up my own line of Naked Neck broilers... not for a business as much as I just want my own sustainable flock of meat birds. However if I end up making something special that ends up being in demand I will sell them to someone with more ambition. My business is plants, its far more profitable than chickens, I just have chickens to make compost and eat healthier.

do you have room and time to test him? I wonder if fast developing hen would be enough to get fast developing chicks.

if you want big chickens choose the biggest eggs to hatch.

do you have room and time to test him? I wonder if fast developing hen would be enough to get fast developing chicks.

if you want big chickens choose the biggest eggs to hatch.
I have considered breeding him back to his mother or Aunt (I have 2 Red Rangers) I have also considered breeding him back with my production reds and making a nice egger. I may even breed him to my Red Leghorns. If I just want to make a goofy looking bird I could breed him to my Light Brahma and get some large awkward feather footed naked necks. He is low on the breeding priority though. Eventually a breeding pen will open up and I can experiment a bit.

I have considered breeding him back to his mother or Aunt (I have 2 Red Rangers) I have also considered breeding him back with my production reds and making a nice egger. I may even breed him to my Red Leghorns. If I just want to make a goofy looking bird I could breed him to my Light Brahma and get some large awkward feather footed naked necks. He is low on the breeding priority though. Eventually a breeding pen will open up and I can experiment a bit.

If it was me, I'd breed him back to your biggest RR hen.

If it was me, I'd breed him back to your biggest RR hen.
that's like to happen unless another rooster is better for the task. I still have a Dorking X Red Ranger rooster that was spared from the dinner table but in his case it was because he developed so much faster than everyone else. If breeding for rapid Development or a long breast bone he goes first, if breeding for a Naked Neck or a prettier coat of feathers the Naked Neck goes first. But since i have 2 Red Rangers I may be doing both at the same time and comparing offspring.

I bet breeding him to red rangers would give you good results.

that's like to happen unless another rooster is better for the task. I still have a Dorking X Red Ranger rooster that was spared from the dinner table but in his case it was because he developed so much faster than everyone else. If breeding for rapid Development or a long breast bone he goes first, if breeding for a Naked Neck or a prettier coat of feathers the Naked Neck goes first. But since i have 2 Red Rangers I may be doing both at the same time and comparing offspring.

please breed both of them and let us know.

with crisis here in greece people are looking for dual purpose breeds/crosses.

Back
Top Bottom