Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Pics
So I've set aside an experimental pen for hopeful Naked Neck/Easter Eggers. Got my rooster that hatched from a blue egg, 3 Wheaten Marans I had gotten from Cackle hatchery last year, 1 black pure Ameraucana from a private breeder, and two other partridge NN hens. No idea if the rooster inherited the blue egg gene, just crossing my fingers. If he didn't then the offspring will all just lay various shades of brown except the Ameraucana's offspring should lay light green. If he DID inherit it, then I should get Olive eggers from the Marans, pure blue from the Ameraucana, and light green from the partridge NN's. The rooster and the NN hens all carry two copies of the NN gene, so I'm also hoping for some nearly clean necked NN offspring from them, too.
If anyone wants in on this experiment, I can start shipping eggs in a couple more weeks.
(best pics I could get as they kept moving around... )View attachment 1683116 View attachment 1683117
I’m definitely interested!
My NN roo, Angus, looks a lot like your guy.
I’ve been wondering for a long time whether he may carry the colored egg gene.
I have a daughter of his out of one of my NN pullets, Emily.
Emily’s egg is a cream color with a slight blush of pink.
I can’t wait for the daughter (named Cleo) to start laying to see what color her eggs are.
Cleo is 3 months old now.
Here’s Cleo:
2666F69E-A9FC-4C7A-8480-7848979835D8.jpeg

0FBDE369-E755-47CA-9046-CD9FD6FD9CB4.jpeg

CEE6B4B8-5CA1-4043-839B-95E681BD1C57.jpeg

My black NN pullet, Agatha, lays a darker pink egg.
Agatha’s egg is 2nd from the right and Emily’s is 3rd from the right.
D465CD37-3CD7-40CC-BD42-C8A963CF6CC4.jpeg

Attachments

• AF67EFD8-5760-4930-A3BC-7E117D4370E3.jpeg
    AF67EFD8-5760-4930-A3BC-7E117D4370E3.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 2
S&G used to have really heavy NN's I hear, like broiler sized. They closed down but sent their stock to Dunlap in Idaho, along with their regular red broilers. The NN's aren't listed on Dunlaps site right now because they stopped selling them for a year as they grew out new roosters for breeding. But I contacted them and they said they will be available again this Spring.
Dunlap is selling them now but they’re under the “Broiler” category.
I think they’re only straight run...not sure.
I actually live about 45 minutes from Dunlap Hatchery but I didn’t get my NNs from them.
I got mine from TSC and I think they source from Hoover Hatchery.

Naked Necks are believed to be originally from some of the game birds in Indonesia and other southeast countries, like the Dong Tao, bred because they really like chicken skin over there.....View attachment 1616779
They were brought to Europe where they became the Transylania Naked Neck because they became popular in Romania.
I've been crossing mine with Bresse, Jersey Giants, and some others to improve dual purpose/meat qualities as they've been bred as ornamentals long enough that they've been getting kinda boney.View attachment 1616782
View attachment 1616783 Here's some of my hens that are crossed with imported Transylvania lines:View attachment 1616785
And a newer cockerel that hatched from a blue egg. I'm hoping to make some NN/EE's with him.View attachment 1616786
@cactusrota
Have you ever crossed your NNs with Cornish?
Not Cornish X!
Just the Cornish breed.
I’m considering that as a possibility for a better table bird but my NN roo Angus is fairly big but I haven’t weighed him.

So I've set aside an experimental pen for hopeful Naked Neck/Easter Eggers. Got my rooster that hatched from a blue egg, 3 Wheaten Marans I had gotten from Cackle hatchery last year, 1 black pure Ameraucana from a private breeder, and two other partridge NN hens. No idea if the rooster inherited the blue egg gene, just crossing my fingers. If he didn't then the offspring will all just lay various shades of brown except the Ameraucana's offspring should lay light green. If he DID inherit it, then I should get Olive eggers from the Marans, pure blue from the Ameraucana, and light green from the partridge NN's. The rooster and the NN hens all carry two copies of the NN gene, so I'm also hoping for some nearly clean necked NN offspring from them, too.
If anyone wants in on this experiment, I can start shipping eggs in a couple more weeks.
(best pics I could get as they kept moving around... )View attachment 1683116 View attachment 1683117

Good luck with your experiment, and I hope that you get some blue eggs. I breed Charley to some CCLB's and they are blue egg layer's. I'm actually thinking that he might be from a light off-white/tan egg layer if he would have been a hen, and putting him over the blue egg laying hen's made me the pullet's that lay the blue egg's. Their egg's aren't quite big enough to try to hatch yet, so I will have to wait on those.

@cactusrota
Have you ever crossed your NNs with Cornish?
Not Cornish X!
Just the Cornish breed.
I’m considering that as a possibility for a better table bird but my NN roo Angus is fairly big but I haven’t weighed him.
Not yet. I wasn't impressed with the hatchery Dark Cornish I got last year. I've shopped around for pure white cornish but they are expensive as they aren't real prolific layers and the eggs don't ship well I guess. I might try a few more DC from a different hatchery. Haven't decided. I checked Dunlap a few days ago and they are also selling hatching eggs for both their NN's and Red Rangers, which is alot cheaper than ordering chicks, so I'm tempted to go that route.. although I didn't really want to incubate any eggs this year...

Dunlap is selling them now but they’re under the “Broiler” category.
I think they’re only straight run...not sure.
I actually live about 45 minutes from Dunlap Hatchery but I didn’t get my NNs from them.
I got mine from TSC and I think they source from Hoover Hatchery.
The TSC's in Safford and Benson get their chicks from Privett in NM. I was under the impression all the stores in AZ get them from Privett, but I could be wrong. I know if you order chicks off the TSC website they come from somewhere else, though, like McMurray or Hoover. I ordered chicks from Hoover last Fall and they all arrived dead. Left a bad impression for me.

I’m definitely interested!
My NN roo, Angus, looks a lot like your guy.
I’ve been wondering for a long time whether he may carry the colored egg gene.
I have a daughter of his out of one of my NN pullets, Emily.
Emily’s egg is a cream color with a slight blush of pink.
I can’t wait for the daughter (named Cleo) to start laying to see what color her eggs are.
Cleo is 3 months old now.
Here’s Cleo:
View attachment 1683172
View attachment 1683174
View attachment 1683173

My black NN pullet, Agatha, lays a darker pink egg.
Agatha’s egg is 2nd from the right and Emily’s is 3rd from the right.
View attachment 1683177

cleo has become real beauty!

Got my Bresse/NN pen put together the other day, in the same pen that I had the pure Bresse in last year. Probably a bit early, the roo is only 5 months old, but I like his temperment and he's the largest Bresse/NN that I have currently. I'm really hoping one of the hens will go broody this year so I don't have to incubate any.
0228191040i.jpg
0228191040f.jpg

I didn't want to have to incubate any of my own eggs this year. I wanted to let hens go broody and do it for me. And then I would only have to put chicks in the brooder that I may get from outside sources. But one of my roosters changed that plan for me.
The roo that I had all set up in the NN/EE pen died a couple days ago. :barnie:hit Totally random. Must have been a stroke or something, I dunno. I only had those hens in with him for a week, but I'm gonna incubate what I have from them anyway... hopefully they caught enough of his "gizz". .... Then figured since I was having to fire up an incubator anyway I went ahead and ordered some NN hatching eggs from Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho. They should be arriving around Wednesday.

Got my Bresse/NN pen put together the other day, in the same pen that I had the pure Bresse in last year. Probably a bit early, the roo is only 5 months old, but I like his temperment and he's the largest Bresse/NN that I have currently. I'm really hoping one of the hens will go broody this year so I don't have to incubate any. View attachment 1688823 View attachment 1688824

I didn't want to have to incubate any of my own eggs this year. I wanted to let hens go broody and do it for me. And then I would only have to put chicks in the brooder that I may get from outside sources. But one of my roosters changed that plan for me.
The roo that I had all set up in the NN/EE pen died a couple days ago. :barnie:hit Totally random. Must have been a stroke or something, I dunno. I only had those hens in with him for a week, but I'm gonna incubate what I have from them anyway... hopefully they caught enough of his "gizz". .... Then figured since I was having to fire up an incubator anyway I went ahead and ordered some NN hatching eggs from Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho. They should be arriving around Wednesday.
I’m sorry your roo died!
That’s terrible :(
Hopefully the Dunlap NNs will work out well for you.
They offer them as meat birds so hopefully they have some size on them.
I’m going to be putting Cleo in with Oliver’s (my Black Australorp cockerel) flock since I don’t want her father breeding her.
From what I understand, black is a dominant color so any chicks between her and Ollie will probably be black, I guess.
I bought some chicks at TSC today.
Two buff Orpingtons (so fluffy! :lol:) and five bantams. Four are Cochins and one is a porcelain D’Uccle I’m raising for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom