Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Got my Bresse/NN pen put together the other day, in the same pen that I had the pure Bresse in last year. Probably a bit early, the roo is only 5 months old, but I like his temperment and he's the largest Bresse/NN that I have currently. I'm really hoping one of the hens will go broody this year so I don't have to incubate any. View attachment 1688823 View attachment 1688824

I didn't want to have to incubate any of my own eggs this year. I wanted to let hens go broody and do it for me. And then I would only have to put chicks in the brooder that I may get from outside sources. But one of my roosters changed that plan for me.
The roo that I had all set up in the NN/EE pen died a couple days ago. :barnie:hit Totally random. Must have been a stroke or something, I dunno. I only had those hens in with him for a week, but I'm gonna incubate what I have from them anyway... hopefully they caught enough of his "gizz". .... Then figured since I was having to fire up an incubator anyway I went ahead and ordered some NN hatching eggs from Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho. They should be arriving around Wednesday.

sorry for your loss. I lost a NN pullet as well. her leg got paralized but no other symptoms. the british araucana pair that were in the same pen with her are fine.

I have got a blue bresse pair 2+ months old and a splash bresse pair a bit less than 2 mo. I might end up in that experiment with NNs. I might start it with my 2 black Nn girls and butcher all that hatch fully necked. I MUST start eating home grown chickens.

I’m sorry your roo died!
That’s terrible :(
Hopefully the Dunlap NNs will work out well for you.
They offer them as meat birds so hopefully they have some size on them.
I’m going to be putting Cleo in with Oliver’s (my Black Australorp cockerel) flock since I don’t want her father breeding her.
From what I understand, black is a dominant color so any chicks between her and Ollie will probably be black, I guess.
I bought some chicks at TSC today.
Two buff Orpingtons (so fluffy! :lol:) and five bantams. Four are Cochins and one is a porcelain D’Uccle I’m raising for a friend.

I didn't know black is dominant. thanks for the information. I like black birds and where I am going to move there are predators. so black birds are at less risk.

last year I had a broody with 2 tiny black chicks. magpies totally ignored them. after a month I put in the run much bigger white silkies. within 10 minutes about 10 magpies gathered. that was the first and the last time my cats killed a magpie so you can imagine how annoying they had been.

sorry for your loss. I lost a NN pullet as well. her leg got paralized but no other symptoms. the british araucana pair that were in the same pen with her are fine.

I have got a blue bresse pair 2+ months old and a splash bresse pair a bit less than 2 mo. I might end up in that experiment with NNs. I might start it with my 2 black Nn girls and butcher all that hatch fully necked. I MUST start eating home grown chickens.
I've gotten to a point where industry/commercial chicken just gross's me out so much I can barely touch it anymore. Especially since they started letting China process our chicken. Most countries in Europe have banned importing any chicken raised in the US. Our practices are so nasty that all the chicken you see in the meat department has been washed in chlorine or ammonia. Even the Organic stuff is required to do it. I'm in a group on facebook for people that feed their dogs raw diet, and it blows me away how many people claim that their dogs are "allergic" to chicken, or complain that their dogs always get sick on chicken, and nobody even considers its the chicken, not the dog.
If I didn't raise my own chicken, I would never eat it.

@Crazydoglady99 - read the previous post.

@cactusrota - interesting. Very interesting.

I'm at the point where store bought meat is less appealing than home raised. Beats starving, but not enjoyable. Home raised CX beats the daylights out of store bought.

If y'all keep talking like this, I'll be bumming hatching eggs from y'all.

I've gotten to a point where industry/commercial chicken just gross's me out so much I can barely touch it anymore. Especially since they started letting China process our chicken. Most countries in Europe have banned importing any chicken raised in the US. Our practices are so nasty that all the chicken you see in the meat department has been washed in chlorine or ammonia. Even the Organic stuff is required to do it. I'm in a group on facebook for people that feed their dogs raw diet, and it blows me away how many people claim that their dogs are "allergic" to chicken, or complain that their dogs always get sick on chicken, and nobody even considers its the chicken, not the dog.

I have also noticed that lately a few times already that the pink slime stuff that they add to meat to make the store bought meat's look fresher and more appealing has been on recall for not having the benefit of inspection before being added to the meat. I get the newsletter's from the FDA site.

I have also noticed that lately a few times already that the pink slime stuff that they add to meat to make the store bought meat's look fresher and more appealing has been on recall for not having the benefit of inspection before being added to the meat. I get the newsletter's from the FDA site.
Scary.

It's not just the processing.. but what were they fed?
(I mean, it is the processing and the carbon monoxide they use to "preserve it", but there is no way possible you can eat something your entire life span and it not be present in your body)

It's also why I don't feed any of my animals commercially made food.
Unspecified meat meal? Aaahhh no thanks!

don't trust everything you hear. the politicians ban many things in order to increase black market. of course they are involved in that business and get rich.

I have seen recently a video of a poor leghorn hen from a german farm. she looked dead, did not want to move (obviously spent about 2 years in a small cage) and kept laying eggs.

Hello. Just introducing my 3 new additions they don't have names yet but will soon.

20190305_182632.jpg
20190305_181822.jpg
20190305_180443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom