Naked rooster butt.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BabyGirl2, Mar 5, 2017.

1. BabyGirl2

BabyGirl2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2017
    My rooster has a naked butt. Certain ways he moves or stands you can see he has no feathers on his butt (vent). The area is really red in places and normal colored in other areas. I see no mites or other parasites. Is there something wrong? What should I check or try? Or is he fine and I'm overreacting?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

Photos are always helpful.

Watch to see if any of your hens are plucking his feathers out. Inspect the red areas for any sign of cuts/abrasions. Without seeing it, it's hard to tell, but general care would be applying some Blu-Kote or something like Pick No More to the exposed areas.

Keep us posted.

3. BabyGirl2

Mar 5, 2017
    Thank you. I will try to get a picture of his back end, but as it is spring and he is part game he isn't gonna make it easy. But I will also try what you suggested.

4. BabyGirl2

Mar 5, 2017
    [​IMG] His feathers have started growing back in but he still has that bright read patch. Am I worried over nothing? What should I do if anything? He eats, drinks, mates, protects his hens and act fine, but I have noticed him moving his head back on his neck like he's trying to rub or scratch it. The hens have no signs of red patches or missing feathers. But (if this info helps) I have had a hen molt already this year. P.S. This post went in backwards Sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] He never lost his "pretty" feathers.

[​IMG] This is Georgia, he's my rooster I raised in the house from the day he hatched.

OK I don't really know how to post pictures but I'm gonna try.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    He's handsome[​IMG]

It does look like he has some broken feathers or one of the hens may be plucking a few off his bum. The redness, I'm not sure....could be an indication of fertility, but have never seen the red that widespread -mine occasionally show a bit of red right below the vent it seems to correlate with his legs when they become red. You can try applying some A+D ointment on the skin, this may be soothing.

As someone else suggested, watch your hen to see if she is picking at the bum feathers - could be boredom or possibly not enough protein. What do you feed? Try hanging some fruit or veggies (apple, kale, cabbage, etc.) for them to pick at and see if the feather loss ceases. Keep us posted.

Hopefully someone else with chime in with their thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. BabyGirl2

Mar 5, 2017
    Thank you. They all get layer pellets and cracked corn daily. As treats they get bread, table scraps and occasionally the cat food when the picky thing won't eat it ( but never more then a few teaspoons at a time). When planting season starts they'll get more tomatoes (their favs,) and strawberrys (another fave) and other greens. But I will try your suggestions.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed has just barely enough protein to support egg production. Corn and other low protein extras will reduce the overall protein intake to the point of risking protein deficiencies. Either stop giving the corn and treats, or switch to a higher protein feed to offset the goodies.

8. BabyGirl2

Mar 5, 2017
    Uhm, I didn't know that. I thought the layer pellets and cracked corn was good for them. Is there a higher protein feed? And would this cause the red patches on his butt?

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like feather picking, and the red is probably just irritation. Layer feed is fine for actively laying hens, but it is intended to be the only thing fed. If you don't want to stop giving treats, switch to a higher protein feed like unmedicated starter or grower.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree on the food. I prefer a higher protein feed than layer. Look for an All Flock/Flock Raiser formula - if you buy commercial feed at the feed store. If you use a mill, talk with them about the different types available. I use Flock Raiser by Purina and have been satisfied with that. It's 20%protein and formulated for all ages of poultry - it does have less calcium than layer feed so make sure to offer oyster shell free choice for your layers.

I like to give mine "goodies" too[​IMG] Fresh tomatoes from the garden are a favorite as well and my rooster just loves cucumber.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by