Nama's Chicken Shawls - fun and fancy chicken saddles

littledirtlane

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Richlands, NC
Hi there! My grandmother has started a little business making chicken saddles. They are so cute! I am happy to be the test dummy!

Please visit her shop on Etsy www.namaschickenshawls.etsy.com -

She just opened her little shop up last night, so stop by and pay her a visit to put a smile on her face!

Here are some of her "shawls" (that's what she likes to call them) available.

YellowwithHeart-LARGE.jpg

This one has batting in it for comfort and is made of a high quality quilter's cotton.

RedWhitePolkaDots-MEDIUM.jpg

This one is made of double thickness material - I love these polka dots!

MulitcolorDotsandStripes-XLARGE.jpg

Yes, you are seeing this...she added a ruffle to the back - it is now a chicken sundress...sooooo cute!

Stop on over and see her - your hens will thank you!!!

Last edited:
The one with the ruffle is absolutely adorable! I put your grandma's link in my favorites so I can go right to it when I need them! Tell her to keep it up, because it will be next year before I am able to get my chickens.

Thanks! I will tell her! I love the ruffled ones too! I think she is going to put some loops on the backs of some so that they can be used as walking coats too...that would be great for shows...she is the most creative lady - I just love seeing the new things that she comes up with!

Those are really nice! I make some of my own saddles now, using a pattern from ones I got years ago, but I found that on my very large BBS Orps, they still had their sides cut up by the rooster, so I made an adjustment--added flank flaps to them to cover their sides near the rear of the saddle. Works like a charm!

Hi Cynthia! Thanks for the tip - I bet the ruffle will work for that too - see we can tell people it is not a vanity thing, haha...people think us chicken people are nuts! LOL...

Out of curiosity, would you grandma reduce her prices for a bulk order? Cause if so, I might be hitting her up later. I just ordered 2 through MyPetChicken because I have a little Bantam Frizzled Cochin hen that is nearly bald, and has almost no feathers left on her back. Boys have a little TOO amorous as of lately, and I have a Sexlink hen in my Standards pen that is almost as bad looking. So I ordered one for each of them, but I have a Silkie mixed hen that needs one, and I suspect that I'll need probably 10 to 15 more over the course of the next year or so as I expand my two flocks.

Hi! I am a Cochin lover too:) I'm sorry to hear about your girls:(. I think I am going to be over protective and put shawls on all of my girls to begin with. That way I don't run into any feather loss. I have 8 week olds to 5 month olds in my coop and I just started seeing feathers today...so that means I need to get with the program!

I spoke with Nama...she is willing to sell her chicken shawls for $6.00 per shawl for ALL sizes, even if you wanted a large you could get that for $6.00. This is for bulk orders of 10 or more only.

Her chicken shawls are made in several different ways, so you would also need to choose how you would like them made. She makes some with cotton batting inside for comfort. Some she makes with drapery cloth, which is the same thickness as a heavy denim, but they come in pretty patterns. She also makes some cotton shawls, but she uses the heavier fabric on the inside for protection. All of her shawls are reversible so they can be flipped over.

She uses high quality quilters cotton for the shawls and this woman sews with love and hums little tunes the whole time she is making them, lol....she is the cutest thing...

Let me know if I answered your questions! Have a nice evening!

Oh those are absolutely adorable. I love the ruffled one. I have one girl that loves her saddle and pitches a stalking fit when you remove it until she gets it back. LOL

Haha! That is funny! She has either figured out that the saddle will protect her or she just feels beautiful - lol - I have a dog like that...we gave her a haircut one time and it was awful. My husband made the mistake of saying that she looked ugly, well the dog hid from us for 2 days until I made her a little ribbon collar with a big pink polka dotted bow - we said she was beautiful and she stopped hiding...animals are funny creatures!

Back
Top Bottom