Molting, Chicken Saddles, & Grumpy Chicks

Kbake

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
So, I have some chickens that did a partial molt. The chickens will be a year old this March. I have added extra protein to their diet, meal worms, feather fixer feed, etc etc.

Some of the girls only lost feathers are their necks. They got their feathers back already (still not laying again but I think they are being lazy now). Now, my one red has feathers missing on her back and I have a chocolate Orpington that looks like a weird fluffy lint ball. The red’s feathers were beginning to grow back but then the little starts of feathers disappear. And the chocolate, well….idk what’s up with her fluffy mess.

I was gonna buy saddles for the hens with some feather issues but I had an incident after Christmas that leaves me with some concerns…

For Christmas the chickens got little cute safety vest. I put one on my lavender orphington (she’s my love bug). She was cooperative and adorable. Well, then my super timid chill bielefelder hen ran up to my lavender and raised her neck feathers and stuck her wings out like she was ready to throw down! I was like “well, shoooot. Stella, you look super adorable but I’m not about to have some chickie fights!”

So, any suggestions on the helping the girls out with growing their feathers back? Will saddles help? I do have a rooster, so not sure if him hopping on them is undoing any progress. I’m also wondering if I should put one on my hen with an attitude problem, maybe the embarrassment will settle her some 😆

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 13
I have not seen any, plus, it’s only 2 out of the 12 hens I have. They molted and then never got their feathers back

Some of the girls only lost feathers are their necks. They got their feathers back already

Now, my one red has feathers missing on her back and I have a chocolate Orpington that looks like a weird fluffy lint ball. The red’s feathers were beginning to grow back but then the little starts of feathers disappear.
Pattern of feather loss in the photos would indicate loss due to mating and/or feather picking. You notice feathers come in, but then they disappear...they are getting plucked out. Pin feathers/new growth are tasty!
How much space do you have and how many birds?

A lot of the feather loss may not return until they actually molt in the summer/fall.

The one that is a fluffy lint ball - her feathers are being nipped off.
or Christmas the chickens got little cute safety vest. I put one on my lavender orphington (she’s my love bug). She was cooperative and adorable. Well, then my super timid chill bielefelder hen ran up to my lavender and raised her neck feathers and stuck her wings out like she was ready to throw down! I was like “well, shoooot. Stella, you look super adorable but I’m not about to have some chickie fights!”

So, any suggestions on the helping the girls out with growing their feathers back? Will saddles help? I do have a rooster, so not sure if him hopping on them is undoing any progress.
If you only put one saddle on a one hen within a flock, she's going to be a target - she's now different...
When I used saddles - everyone got a saddle that way no one stood out. Feathers will grow underneath them or at least they did with my pullets and hens. Saddles will also help protect the bare skin from rooster nails.

It is a MUST to inspect underneath the saddles frequently to make sure that skin is not being damaged, and that fit is still good. Saddles are not a set and forget type of thing.

Pattern of feather loss in the photos would indicate loss due to mating and/or feather picking. You notice feathers come in, but then they disappear...they are getting plucked out. Pin feathers/new growth are tasty!
How much space do you have and how many birds?

A lot of the feather loss may not return until they actually molt in the summer/fall.

The one that is a fluffy lint ball - her feathers are being nipped off.

If you only put one saddle on a one hen within a flock, she's going to be a target - she's now different...
When I used saddles - everyone got a saddle that way no one stood out. Feathers will grow underneath them or at least they did with my pullets and hens. Saddles will also help protect the bare skin from rooster nails.

It is a MUST to inspect underneath the saddles frequently to make sure that skin is not being damaged, and that fit is still good. Saddles are not a set and forget type of thing.
I have 12 hens & 1 rooster. They have a 25’X15’ run and they get to free range when my husband and I are out and about in the yard (hawks & eagles like to frequent the area).

Would you suggest the saddles going on during the night so they all wake up the same?

Here’s my lint ball when she was a beautiful feather duster 🥰 this was back in October

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 8
She's lovely!

If it's easier to catch them all and put the saddles on at night, then that's what I'd do.
If they are agreeable and don't mind handling, then do it during the day. They may still have a few scuffles here and there depending on personality, but most are too worried about this thing that's been put on them to want to fight another hen.

Oh and the rooster may have to get used to how they look too. Usually not a problem but he may cackle and fuss and carry on, but if he's a mature boy, it won't take long for him to be saying, "My isn't that a lovely dress" (wink wink)😂

She's lovely!

If it's easier to catch them all and put the saddles on at night, then that's what I'd do.
If they are agreeable and don't mind handling, then do it during the day. They may still have a few scuffles here and there depending on personality, but most are too worried about this thing that's been put on them to want to fight another hen.

Oh and the rooster may have to get used to how they look too. Usually not a problem but he may cackle and fuss and carry on, but if he's a mature boy, it won't take long for him to be saying, "My isn't that a lovely dress" (wink wink)😂
Thank you so much! Our boy thankfully is a polite nice boy, I’m sure he will actually be a little scared of them at first if anything 😆

Any suggestions on saddles? Amazon has this Down Under Outdoors brand that look durable
DOWN UNDER OUTDOORS Premium Chicken Saddle, Adjustable Straps Suit Medium and Large Hens, Poultry Saver, Protector, Apron, Supplies, Products and Equipment, Including Shoulder Cover (Blue) https://a.co/d/ecco2vK

I never used any with snaps, I always used ones with the elastic so it would stretch and move. There's a lot styles out there, sometimes you have to try a couple of styles before you find one that works best for your environment, weather/climate, etc. It gets hot here in the summer so having lightweight cotton based saddles worked better here for me too.

I think the color also isn’t great, pink is bright kinda like red which might make them a target. I made some saddles and they always went after the pink one, eventually gave up on them because they’d get them off and I’d find the saddles all over the yard. If I ever used them again I’d use a darker/neutral color.

Back
Top Bottom