Name of coop

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
My husband wants me to make a sign for our coop. Not sure if I am capable of carving the name in the board he gave me, but I'd like to try and then paint in the words. I don't think my little wood engraver would be much help here. Any tips or best tool to use?
Also...
I'm thinking of going with the Hoolighens in some way. Which way is best to spell it out? Other ideas?
Hoolighens
Hoolig-hens
HooligHens

Why doesn't he make the sign? lol
I'm guessing your "engraver" is a rotary tool with the router base? A rotary tool with the router jig attachment should be sufficient to do this if it's what you're working with. If you have the "plunge" router attachment it should give you more dexterity and be a little easier to wield.
Find some scrap wood (ideally the same type you'll be using to make the sign) and start practicing!
It's your coop's name, spell it however you see fit.

Why doesn't he make the sign? lol
I'm guessing your "engraver" is a rotary tool with the router base? A rotary tool with the router jig attachment should be sufficient to do this if it's what you're working with. If you have the "plunge" router attachment it should give you more dexterity and be a little easier to wield.
Find some scrap wood (ideally the same type you'll be using to make the sign) and start practicing!
It's your coop's name, spell it however you see fit.
If I lay out the letters I may be able to get him to make the sign. LOL
The engraver is more of a wood burning tool. I'll let him use the router.

I've used a few wood burners and unless it's a really nice one that you can crank up the heat on, I'd pass on that project, lol. Also some wood types just don't play nicely with wood burning, such as heavily grained hard woods

What about simply painting the sign?

My friend made mine with a router and recycled materials (my fave). BEST. PRESENT. EVER.

sign.jpg

(I am a literature teacher)

My husband wants me to make a sign for our coop. Not sure if I am capable of carving the name in the board he gave me, but I'd like to try and then paint in the words. I don't think my little wood engraver would be much help here. Any tips or best tool to use?
Also...
I'm thinking of going with the Hoolighens in some way. Which way is best to spell it out? Other ideas?
Hoolighens
Hoolig-hens
HooligHens
I rather like the camel case. Cute name!

I've used a few wood burners and unless it's a really nice one that you can crank up the heat on, I'd pass on that project, lol. Also some wood types just don't play nicely with wood burning, such as heavily grained hard woods

What about simply painting the sign?
Painting sounds easier. :lol: I just need to look for the stencils.

Back
Top Bottom