Name that breed!

bmart222

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
First post! I have ten chicks, about 3.5 weeks old, and I'm dying to learn more about their specific breeds. I feel certain #1 is a cockerel, fingers crossed he's the only one in the bunch. Thanks so much for the help!!

#1 - Houdini. Donated to us unsexed, most mature in flock, will fly up to arm and sit on shoulder. A stunning young roo, right?

1 - Houdini.jpg

#2 - Long Neck. Donated to us unsexed with #1. Could they be a cockerel, too? Extremely timid.

2 - Long Neck.jpg

#3 - Buttercup. Donated to us unsexed with #1 and #2. Least mature in group, loudest chirp.

3 - Buttercup.jpg

#4 - Prynne. Assorted Pullet bin at TSC. Started with "chipmunk" marking. Easy to handle and loves my lap, independent

4 - Prynne.jpg

#5 - Black Tip. Assorted Pullet bin at TSC with #6. Fearless and friendly

5 - Black Tip.jpg

#6 - Sado. Assorted Pullet bin at TSC with #5.

6 - Sado.jpg

#7 - Assorted Bantam bin at TSC. We have 4 and we call them "the sisters." The markings and development are the same making it difficult to tell them apart.

7 - Bantam Sisters.jpg

Houdini: Silkie mix, male?
Long Neck: Male, breed unsure.
Buttercup: Male Barred Rock
Prynne: Female olive Egger
Black Tip: California white? Gender unsure
Sado: white leghorn? Gender unsure
Bantam sisters: too early on gender, Gold laced Wyandottes.

4 has a female specific pattern
At this age, cockerels can have a pattern that makes them look like pullets. The lack of black on the chest isn’t really an indicator either, as OEs are mixes so won’t conform to a specific variety.

#1 looks like a marans mix or cochin mix, but it’s really too early to ID breed on mixes.

1/2-mixed breed cockerels
3-Barred Rock
4-white head spot indicates cockerel. Looks crele. I'm think Welbar
5-best to wait some but perhaps a California White
6-likely White Leghorn
7-Gold Laced Wyandotte Bantams

Back
Top Bottom