Name that Coturnix!! Help me identify, please :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SilkieRose, Jul 23, 2013.

1. SilkieRose

SilkieRose Songster

2. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    The light birds are Golden, the dark ones with white breast are tuxedo, the whites can be either English White or A&M (the only way to tell is by adult weight, A&M's will be much heavier). It is a very good flock of mixed birds. Very nice to look at. Congrats.

3. SilkieRose

SilkieRose Songster

Thank you!!! The light ones have been said to be Golden & Italian. The plumage definitely seems to have the V-pattern that I've seen in Italians, but how do you create an Italian?? Breeding what to what? I'm confused :)Not sure which. I have the tuxedos down!! SO STINKIN' CUTE!!! omg!!! I only have 2 that look to be Tibetan or Rosetta... which, do you know?
    The whites all have spots on them so I don't know if that takes them out of the EW group & puts them straight into the A&M category.
    Thanks so much for the help. This is my first hatch.

Check out my page at facebook.com/freedomfarmsquail
    Thanks, Shelly

4. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Goldens and Italian are actually the same gene. It is super easy to produce Goldens. If you breed a Golden to any other color, you will get 50% Golden and 50% of another color. If you breed Golden to Golden, you will get 50% Golden 25% other colors, and 25% dead eggs. A double dose of the Golden gene is fatal to the developing embryo. I have mostly Goldens with a few browns mixed in. I find that they lay so much that I can just set 25% more eggs than I actually want to hatch.

5. freeflyin

freeflyin In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    So are you saying that if you breed an Italian to a brown will you get 50% Italian and 50% brown?

6. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Exactly. The Golden gene is a dominant gene.

7. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Songster

May 8, 2013
    The golden gene is giving me som trouble. The chicks I have hatch that show the golden gene are being born with deormaties. I culled 2 today.

8. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Your brood stock might be too closely related. You might want to separate all the female goldens into one cage and the males in another. Try adding browns from a different source/breeder to each cage, keeping your male to female ratio at 1:3.

9. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Songster

May 8, 2013
    The person I got them from said they were half brothers and sisters. That I could breed them.
    I am working on introducing new brown stock, But I am removing all the golden stock, They just seem to frail.
    If I want golden I'll get some hardiier stock later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by