Name that hawk:

Peregrines are not a problem for chickens. They are after the smaller birds like pigeons and doves. They typically take their prey airborne and not on the ground.

Hello all and thank you for your replies! It has taken awhile to post back, but have had a lot of activity, almost all good. The flock is easily bored and relishes our walks. Only had 1 run-in with a medium black-ish hawk, the Red-tailed, and 1 buzzard that couldn't take a hint. By you identifying them, I was able to read about how they usually hunt.
The Peregrine was years ago with an original flock. It was smaller and did try to go after a juvenile but I was walking them into the coop and got 'swooped' by it. Was so beautiful!! So rare!

The umbrella deterred enough hawks and buzzards for so long that the 'usual culprits' gave up. Will only have to contend with the newcomers.
They learned when 1 gets out-of-line, we all go back to the coop. They have learned to govern themselves that way I am not the shepherd, they are each their own. When 1 strays or runs.. they chase, get mad, and reprimand that chicken to get back in line with the flock.
This has definitely helped in free-ranging my chickens. Yes, I know there is always that chance or loss, but they get so bored even though I've built them a chicken playground, movable tunnel, and have more than 15 feet per chicken in the coop and their yard.

I'll keep an eye to the sky and THANK YOU for all of the identification and advice as it was INVALUABLE!!!!

All of these stories of hawks are scaring me. I’ve been leaving my chicks (10) out all day while I work inside, run errands etc. I have a large fenced in back yard (7000 sq ft) that they roam around in all day. I go out several times a day to collect eggs and give treats. No problems with hawks or other predators.
Monday, I go back to work. I’ll be gone from 8am to 5pm. I’ll come home around 1pm to collect eggs. But hearing these stories make me wonder about leaving them out. There is a super small run under the coop, but I know they won’t be happy in there all day. By the time I get hone, it’ll be dark. Just not sure which way to go. I want happy chickens and safe chickens too.

All of these stories of hawks are scaring me. I’ve been leaving my chicks (10) out all day while I work inside, run errands etc. I have a large fenced in back yard (7000 sq ft) that they roam around in all day. I go out several times a day to collect eggs and give treats. No problems with hawks or other predators.
Monday, I go back to work. I’ll be gone from 8am to 5pm. I’ll come home around 1pm to collect eggs. But hearing these stories make me wonder about leaving them out. There is a super small run under the coop, but I know they won’t be happy in there all day. By the time I get hone, it’ll be dark. Just not sure which way to go. I want happy chickens and safe chickens too.
I let my flock free range all day while I am at work. They have trees, plants, shrubs, and objects for protection and of course the rooster does a great job.
Do you have plenty of places for the flock to hide? Are you allowed a rooster?

I let my flock free range all day while I am at work. They have trees, plants, shrubs, and objects for protection and of course the rooster does a great job.
Do you have plenty of places for the flock to hide? Are you allowed a rooster?
Yes, I’m allowed a rooster but I don’t want chicks so I resist that. My back yard has plenty of trees but I’m not sure about hiding places. Tell me more about that.

Yes, I’m allowed a rooster but I don’t want chicks so I resist that. My back yard has plenty of trees but I’m not sure about hiding places. Tell me more about that.
You won't get chicks unless you let the hens sit on the eggs for 21-24 days. You can still eat the eggs if they are fertilized, as long as you gather your eggs every day.
A rooster's job is to watch for predators while the ladies eat on the ground, warn the flock to run to the coop, and he will even sacrifice his life so that the flock is safe.

You won't get chicks unless you let the hens sit on the eggs for 21-24 days. You can still eat the eggs if they are fertilized, as long as you gather your eggs every day.
A rooster's job is to watch for predators while the ladies eat on the ground, warn the flock to run to the coop, and he will even sacrifice his life so that the flock is safe.
Yes... my 10 year-old nephew keeps telling me the same thing. I'm not sold yet. Tell me about the hiding places you mentioned. I don't have bushes...

Yes... my 10 year-old nephew keeps telling me the same thing. I'm not sold yet. Tell me about the hiding places you mentioned. I don't have bushes...
I have big maple trees surrounding the coop and my perennial garden not far which is filled with tons of flowers. I also just put a gazebo between the run and the flowers.
I thought about making a grapevine structure but then my grandma was needing to get rid of her gazebo so I used that instead.

This is the gazebo just after we put it up. You can see the run under the big tree...
ECDC3D98-367D-44B0-9568-E3FCC53089DC.jpeg

We got the gazebo all bolted together just as the rain hit but right before the lightning came. The flock was out free ranging and we left the ladders under the gazebo to head for shelter but the rooster wouldn’t let the flock walk under the ladders: bad luck! So they huddled under a bench until I ran over to move a ladder, then they proceeded to file into the run until the weather passed. You can see some of the perennial garden in the background.
6A95E20E-9594-4E77-B541-B45A16D33898.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom